Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heston

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Hey guys. Not sure if any of you have experienced this. I have a Mid 2009 Macbook Pro (2.53ghz) loaded with Mountain Lion and have had problems with internet connections periodically. The computer will appear connected to the router, but I won't have an internet connection. The only way I've found that fixes this is to turn off and turn back on the wireless. This isn't just a OS 10.8 issue either, as this occurred on 10.7 (I don't remember if it occurred under 10.6). This is occurs on more than one router (Netgear, Cysco).

I've reset the PMOS, verified permissions...done all the basic stuff.

Is this possibly a hardware issue? Software issue? It doesn't occur too often, maybe twice a week, but when it does it's annoying because you'll be watching a video online or downloading something and all of the sudden you lose internet access.

All my updates are up to date.

Cyrup

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
Australia
Are you using wireless?

If so, I can't really help you.
I'm connected directly with an Ethernet cable, and i've had this issue.
Turns out, the cable just wasn't secure in properlly, occassionally it slips and needs to be pushed in a litle more.

Do you leave your Internet constantly on? Do you actually have a decent Internet speed/bandwidth etc?
If it only happens occassionally, it could just be your Internet timing out.
That's why after it's been turned off & on it tends to work better...

Generally things just need a fresh start.
If Its always on, maybe try leaving it off when not in use.
Edit:

A useful thing would be to check if this happened on older versions, like SL.
If it didn't, you'll know it's a software issue i guess...

Heston

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Are you using wireless?

If so, I can't really help you.
I'm connected directly with an Ethernet cable, and i've had this issue.
Turns out, the cable just wasn't secure in properlly, occassionally it slips and needs to be pushed in a litle more.

Do you leave your Internet constantly on? Do you actually have a decent Internet speed/bandwidth etc?
If it only happens occassionally, it could just be your Internet timing out.
That's why after it's been turned off & on it tends to work better...

Generally things just need a fresh start.
If Its always on, maybe try leaving it off when not in use.
Edit:

A useful thing would be to check if this happened on older versions, like SL.
If it didn't, you'll know it's a software issue i guess...

Yeah I can't really remember if it occurred with SL. Pretty much it's happened the entire time I've had this laptop, which was mid 2009.

I'm connected to a wireless network. Usually it's N, but sometimes I connect to a G network as well. What I do to make the internet come back is not really reset the router, but I just turn off the WiFi and turn it back on in OSX.

It really is a peculiar problem that I just haven't been able to figure out why it does it. You have a point though, maybe the router IS timing out and with me turning off and on the wifi renews my IP address. Maybe that's it. Anyone have problems with IP address renewal?

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Hey guys. Not sure if any of you have experienced this. I have a Mid 2009 Macbook Pro (2.53ghz) loaded with Mountain Lion and have had problems with internet connections periodically. The computer will appear connected to the router, but I won't have an internet connection. The only way I've found that fixes this is to turn off and turn back on the wireless. This isn't just a OS 10.8 issue either, as this occurred on 10.7 (I don't remember if it occurred under 10.6). This is occurs on more than one router (Netgear, Cysco).

I've reset the PMOS, verified permissions...done all the basic stuff.

Is this possibly a hardware issue? Software issue? It doesn't occur too often, maybe twice a week, but when it does it's annoying because you'll be watching a video online or downloading something and all of the sudden you lose internet access.

All my updates are up to date.

There's an article here that might help with your WiFi connection problems. It seems to have worked for me.

Heston

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
There's an article here that might help with your WiFi connection problems. It seems to have worked for me.

Awesome article, thanks bro. I did both tweaks and will find out soon enough if I have any problems. Thanks!

Heston

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Nope. Still occurring, despite following the above link's recommendations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.