Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Lloyd Braun
macrumors newbie

Documents in the Cloud… Interesting Fail

Working on a Pages document, I chose Share > Export > PDF and saved it to iCloud. The PDF didn't appear in Preview's list of iCloud PDFs, but still appeared in Pages' list of documents as a greyed-out PDF (because Pages can't natively open PDFs).

Thanks. I just created an unusable document.

I had to drag the greyed-out PDF out of the iCloud window onto my Desktop, and drag it into Preview's iCloud window.

LOL.

I'm not complaining too much, mind you, because we all know iCloud still has a ways to go before it becomes a full-time document storage solution.
Lloyd Braun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:52 PM   #2
jameslmoser
macrumors 6502

Haha, yeah I knew it was limited, but didn't realize how bad it was. Dropbox is much better because it is simple and doesn't try to fix something that wasn't broken. Something Apple has been trying to do a lot of lately.
jameslmoser is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 03:09 PM   #3
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Yeah, that behavior seems kind of nonsensical...

The problem appears to be that Apple simply calls it 'iCloud' everywhere in the GUI, while in reality you're dealing with a multitude of application-specifc iCloud silos, for Pages, Preview, Mail, Textedit etc. This arguably makes only a limited amount of sense in OS X – certainly for experienced users.

At least in OS X it is possible to use the Finder to access iCloud documents. So you're not forced to go into the app first, as you are on iOS. It is also possible for apps to access iCloud documents that were saved in other apps, again, unlike iOS, by using Spotlight search.

Last edited by tkermit; Aug 4, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
tkermit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion