Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
I'm not sure how I should interpret the statistics of Activity Monitor so I decided to post it here so that someone would help me note; if I'm running low on RAM. My Macbook Pro - (currently on 4GB) was very sluggish and that was the reason why I decided to check my Activity Monitor.

screenshot20120804at202.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Doesn't look it, your page outs are relatively low, your available ram is rather high, that is OSX hasn't needed to use it (yet).

radarbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
I don't think your system is stressed for memory.

For grins, try "zapping the PRAM" ... Restart the computer and hold down ⌘-option-P-R. Hold it until you hear the "bong". Old timer conventional wisdom says to keep holding the key combo for 3 "bong"s, then let go - the computer will start up.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Your computer was feeling sluggish because Flash Player and Safari were using the vast majority of CPU power there. No amount of RAM will fix that.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Doesn't look it, your page outs are relatively low, your available ram is rather high, that is OSX hasn't needed to use it (yet).

The page outs are almost the same as page ins however (!). The figure is rather meaningless here though, as it seems that the computer was restarted recently. But it still could indicate a RAM problem. On the other hand, ML's Safari RAM usage is simply insane...

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Your computer was feeling sluggish because Flash Player and Safari were using the vast majority of CPU power there. No amount of RAM will fix that.
Exactly. I don't know why people even bother to give advice about RAM. The reason for sluggishness is quite obvious and has nothing to do with RAM. Hell he has 50% free.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
you've about 2GBs free memory (Inactive = available to be free)...so the only reason could be the Flash/Safari CPU usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.