Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:14 PM   #1
isoMorpheus

iCloud v. On My Mac for Notes

Is anyone bothered by these two different locations to save notes? I've been trying to figure out a way to just have one place for notes. Of course I want them to be backed up on iCloud so I can look at whatever notes I have on my iPad. Does "On My Mac" have to be there on the sidebar of Notes? I don't see why. And if I hide it—by dragging the pane away—it comes back out again when I relaunch the app. So infuriating.

Thoughts?...
isoMorpheus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502

When I relaunch the application i dont see the other save locations.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:35 PM   #3
kronborg
macrumors member

After enabling iCloud notes, the empty 'on my Mac' account disappeared entirely (perhaps first after a restart). The account pane is gone, and will only return if I turn on note syncing with another account, I guess. Was/is your 'on my Mac' account empty?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:46 PM   #4
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502

Yeah, I realized I also just had iCould notes setup in accounts. I've unchecked notes from both Exchange and Gmail.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 01:38 PM   #5
robgendreau
macrumors 68000

Use something besides iCloud. Dropbox, Evernote, pretty much anything else. The Apple Notes application pales in comparison to other notetaking apps, so you won't be missing anything, and it will work more intuitively.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:29 AM   #6
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoMorpheus View Post
Is anyone bothered by these two different locations to save notes? I've been trying to figure out a way to just have one place for notes. Of course I want them to be backed up on iCloud so I can look at whatever notes I have on my iPad. Does "On My Mac" have to be there on the sidebar of Notes? I don't see why. And if I hide it—by dragging the pane away—it comes back out again when I relaunch the app. So infuriating.

Thoughts?...
You'll need to delete all the notes saved to On My Mac first and then it disappears. It works like the Calendar and Contacts apps.

On the iphone, If you turn off iCloud notes and then turn them back on, the local ones are merged into iCloud for you. Pretty sure it works the same on the Mac. That way you don't have to worry about transferring the ones you want to keep.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:45 AM   #7
matrix07
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoMorpheus View Post

Thoughts?...
I don't have On My Mac but I have Gmail/Notes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgendreau View Post
Use something besides iCloud. Dropbox, Evernote, pretty much anything else. The Apple Notes application pales in comparison to other notetaking apps, so you won't be missing anything, and it will work more intuitively.
Not a good advice. I'm an active Evernote user but still find value in Notes.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:48 AM   #8
GoGamecocks
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post
Not a good advice. I'm an active Evernote user but still find value in Notes.
Depends on the user I guess. I use Evernote for lengthy notes, like when I take notes on chapters of the Bible during my reading. But I use the Apple Notes app for when I want to make a quick list of things, like a tally on who will be playing pick-up basketball on Friday so I can see if we need to invite an extra player or not.
GoGamecocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion