Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtelena

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Title says it all, I want to remove some scratches from the white plastic charger that came with my MacBook Air and I would like to hear about what products and how to apply them without damaging or even producing more scratches to the charger... Thanks !

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Buy a new one? How does one ever get catches out of plastic?!? I suppose you could try to sand them out with super fine grit paper but that would dull the finish....

Buy new and be more careful?

dtelena

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Buy a new one? How does one ever get catches out of plastic?!? I suppose you could try to sand them out with super fine grit paper but that would dull the finish....

Buy new and be more careful?

Well that does not help at all, I bough this second hand (used) so I did not make them, they were already there when I bough it :mad:. I am a very careful person by the way :rolleyes:

I could try to polish it with some compound, I have read that maybe toothpaste could work but I am afraid to try and make it worse :eek: and that is why I am asking for info and advice from someone who has tried this before with good results.

Steven in VA

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
I could try to polish it with some compound, I have read that maybe toothpaste could work but I am afraid to try and make it worse :eek: and that is why I am asking for info and advice from someone who has tried this before with good results.[/QUOTE]

I have had good results removing scratches from some older MacBooks with metal polish like Wenol. It does diminish the gloss, and won't remove deep gashes--but it polishes out most of the small scratches.

Also, there's a guy at MacBookAdapters.com who refurbishes them nicely and sells them with new, stronger cables and a smooth--but not glossy--finish. His prices are reasonable and he seems like a nice fellow. Send him an email--he may reveal his refinishing process to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.