Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bamaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I have the base Retina with 16GB upgrade, 2.3/16/256. Running a clean install of Mountain Lion and I'm left with 86GB left. That includes 90GB of music and documents. I don't need them all on my MBP but still, now I'm worried a bit about storage.

86GB is a lot left, I know. But I'm just curious as to how many people are close to maxing out their 256GB.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I have the base rMBP and i have about 205 GB free. This is largely because I have decided not to transfer all my pictures and music to the Mac HD. I cannibalized my old windows machine and use the 320 G 7.2K RPM HDD in a USB 3 enclosure. I get about 100/100 R/W using blackmagic.

My enclosure holds the rest of my media, and it also doubles as my time machine backup (1 of 2).

I personally dont mind it, the large the storage, the more junk you accrue.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I have 125 GB left.

I have 1.35 GB in my pictures folder, 45 GB in my iTunes folder and a 12 GB Parallels VM.

Most of my stuff is stored on drives at home. I have a 750GB Seagate GoFlex that I can bring with me on trips.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I have 125 GB left.

I have 1.35 GB in my pictures folder, 45 GB in my iTunes folder and a 12 GB Parallels VM.

Most of my stuff is stored on drives at home. I have a 750GB Seagate GoFlex that I can bring with me on trips.

How much space does the 256GB actually come with for use?

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Anyone split the drive for bootcamp?

I've split mine up.

I have 150 gb on the Mac side, and 100 gb on Windows side...

I have around 30 gb of room left on the Mac side, mostly because I've been storing quite a few Blu-ray movies and games on it, as I'm too lazy to have moved them to more permanent storage, as of now. I have around 40 gb left on the windows side, as I currently have a the OS (obviously) which takes up about 20 gb, pagefile and another space reducer still active (14 gb), civ V and crysis (15-18 gb), and a few other games and apps...

Once I do a clean up, I should have around 100 gb left overall, and I have pretty much everything I need installed on it already... So I'll probably permanently have a pretty large amount of space available.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
base config with 16gb of ram. i have 109 gb free.

no media/music/movies on here. why bother when i can stream directly from google music and air video.

i have two virtual machines installed (win 7 and win 8).

have both cs5.5 and cs6 master collections installed (minus flash and a few others i don't use on a regular basis). i have both installed mainly to make sure compatibility issues don't arise when .psds are sent around.

i only have one game installed (diablo 3, which i'm probably going to uninstall due to it being utterly boring after the first couple weeks of play)

the rest are just the usual basic smaller apps (coda/transmit/gfxstatus/adium/switchresx/browsers etc etc)

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
How much space does the 256GB actually come with for use?

Damned if I know. ;)

I immediately transferred over stuff from a previous laptop, so never had it empty. I'm sure someone will have the answer, just didn't want to leave a question to me unanswered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.