Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oscarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
I bought this sprint iPhone 4s from this one dude that i never see around anymore, the thing is that it still has his number like programed into it. it seems to support both cdma and gsm networks on there, i already took the sim card out but the signal is still there along with the number, is there any way i could like erase it?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
The iPhone is still active, that's why it's still getting service. Could be a phone that was stolen, and hasn't been reported as lost yet.

oscarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
is there anyway to take that number off? like delete some files through ifile?

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
is there anyway to take that number off? like delete some files through ifile?

i dont think "deleting some files" on a CDMA iPhone will get rid of the previous owner's phone number.

If you bought it from "this one dude", you should meet him in a Sprint store and see what Sprint can do with you (assuming you're with Sprint, as you bought/stole a Sprint iPhone).

oscarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
lol i mean its a phone, everything runs off files and ****, im pretty sure that there has to be a file in there that has something to do with the number and or sprint services

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
lol i mean its a phone, everything runs off files and ****, im pretty sure that there has to be a file in there that has something to do with the number and or sprint services

Why don't you just go straight to Sprint and see what they can do for you? What have you got to lose? :eek:

oscarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
The sprint store is pretty far from where i live, i don't feel like driving an hour just for an iphone, thats why i came on here

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
If it's 'just an iphone', then why are you even worried about it?

Since it's 'just an iphone', go on the Sprint web site and order a brand new one and have it overnighted to you. That way you'll know your 'just an iphone' will be working perfectly.

And, since it's 'just an iphone' - why did you even go through this?

Aug 5, 2012
If it's 'just an iphone', then why are you even worried about it?

Since it's 'just an iphone', go on the Sprint web site and order a brand new one and have it overnighted to you. That way you'll know your 'just an iphone' will be working perfectly.

And, since it's 'just an iphone' - why did you even go through this?

WOW... Calm down!

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
As batting1000 said, you got your answer. You need to contact Sprint. If you don't want to drive an hour or whatever to get it taken care of, that's fine...it just depends on how much you want your iPhone to be usable.

If the number on the phone is still active after you bought it, there is a slight possibility (please note: this does not translate to me saying "OMG YOU STOLE A PHONE!!1!!1") that the phone you bought from "this one dude who [you] never see around anymore" was stolen.

If this phone belonged to the guy you bought it from, why wouldn't he change his number to a new device? It does not seem likely. There is a slight possibility (see note above) that the phone was obtained through illegitimate means.

But you need to contact Sprint if you want to deactivate the phone and put your number on it. To do this though, you might need the previous account holder's information as I believe you cannot just deactivate a phone from a line without consent of the previous owner.

Last edited by a moderator:

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
If it has his phone number, then it is still "attached" to that phone number.

Have you called Sprint or anyone to set up an account.

Not sure where you have been for the past few years, but to use a cell phone, you have to set up service with the carrier. You can not..

why am I wasting my time here?

oscarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
If it has his phone number, then it is still "attached" to that phone number.

Have you called Sprint or anyone to set up an account.

Not sure where you have been for the past few years, but to use a cell phone, you have to set up service with the carrier. You can not..

why am I wasting my time here?

lol i agree, why are you wasting you time here?

----------

I'd call customer service. They can change the number for you over the phone. I've done it many times with Sprint.

yeah ill see whats up, i just need to unlock it to att with rsim 5 i bought. you got any idea on how to use it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.