Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamiem1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Hi guys.. something and nothing here:

since updating to ML I've noticed VLC is listed twice when I select open with, I've deleted the app and it still remains! Can someone else check their system to see if theirs is the same?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 19.27.42.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 19.27.42.png
    832.5 KB · Views: 962

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Sounds like you have two different versions of VLC installed.

EDIT: I'm actually having a similar issue, but mine is with Evernote. Shows twice under "Open With" menu.

miles01110's tip fixed it. Thanks

Last edited:

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Here is the best command to use:

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -all s,l,u; killall Finder
S-

cdembek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
Manage corruption in the launch services
One of the primary reasons why the launch services will not include a program is if there is a corruption in them that prevents them from being updated or read by the user's account. In these situations, clearing and rebuilding the launch services database should restore proper functionality. To do this, open the Terminal utility and run the following command (copy and paste it, and provide your account password when prompted):
`sudo find /System/Library/Frameworks -name lsregister` -kill -seed
This command should locate the lsregister program and run it with the "-kill" and "-seed" flags that will delete it and repopulate it using the application packages in the default Applications folders.

Last edited:

dubAdub

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
Bray, Ireland
Here is the best command to use:

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -all s,l,u; killall Finder
S-

That worked for me.

I had VLC listed several times.

The first command didn't work.

sarah11918

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
The instruction from post #9 worked like a charm, thanks! I'd had multiple copies of multiple programs in my "open with" list. Much better now.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Do you have to redo any custom "always open with" items with these method?

HoddzDJ

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
England, UK
Manage corruption in the launch services
One of the primary reasons why the launch services will not include a program is if there is a corruption in them that prevents them from being updated or read by the user's account. In these situations, clearing and rebuilding the launch services database should restore proper functionality. To do this, open the Terminal utility and run the following command (copy and paste it, and provide your account password when prompted):
`sudo find /System/Library/Frameworks -name lsregister` -kill -seed
This command should locate the lsregister program and run it with the "-kill" and "-seed" flags that will delete it and repopulate it using the application packages in the default Applications folders.
This method worked for me, the command in the previous posts didn't seem to fix it. That was on OS X 10.11.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.