Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rugbyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Hi All,

Looooooooong time lurker, first time poster (as I just bought my first Mac).

I love my rMBP so far but the one thing I really hated about it was the non-Retina capability of Microsoft Word and Excel. After searching for the past couple of months on these forums for a Retina compatibility fix, I finally resorted to sifting through Google results and found exactly what I had been looking for.

I don't think this has been posted here yet but I apologize if it has. Also, I do not take credit for this fix in any way, shape, or form. Anyways, check out the two links below and let me know if you have any problems with it. Word and Excel look soooooooooo much better on the Retina screen with these and I can't imagine using either of those applications on this screen without this fix.

Step-by-step pictures and instructions: http://imgur.com/a/0P5KY

From CultofMac, Instructions: http://www.cultofmac.com/182025/use-this-quick-trick-to-force-microsoft-word-to-use-retina-display/

Enjoy!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Thanks. Although I don't have an rMBP at the moment, I'd like to know how is the effect before and after applying the patch/fix. Do you have any screen shots? Thanks.:D

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
It worked. But when i closed it opened it again, it no longer works o_O

It worked for me. When I quit the app and open it again though retina text is gone. Then, if i minimize it and maximize it, retina text is back again.

It seems that you have to minimize and maximize each time you open in order to keep the retina text.

Apparently you have to do the toolbar trick each time too. Almost isn't worth the hassle - I think I'm just going to revert back to the original file.

note235

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
here are pics
im going to just use pages for now
Non retina 1

Non Retina 2

Retina 1

Retina 2

Pages Retina
RiImc.png

Last edited by a moderator:

rugbyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
It worked for me. When I quit the app and open it again though retina text is gone. Then, if i minimize it and maximize it, retina text is back again.

It seems that you have to minimize and maximize each time you open in order to keep the retina text.

Apparently you have to do the toolbar trick each time too. Almost isn't worth the hassle - I think I'm just going to revert back to the original file.

Yeah sorry about that, I guess I should have explained that for some reason you do have to minimize it and bring it back up every time you open it. It's a bit of a pain but 100 times better than looking at non-retina text all day. I am much happier with my Word and Excel because of this.

Also, I really don't understand why Microsoft can't just send this out as an update. It appears to be a fairly simple fix with a few lines of code...

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Yeah sorry about that, I guess I should have explained that for some reason you do have to minimize it and bring it back up every time you open it. It's a bit of a pain but 100 times better than looking at non-retina text all day. I am much happier with my Word and Excel because of this.

Also, I really don't understand why Microsoft can't just send this out as an update. It appears to be a fairly simple fix with a few lines of code...

There's a simple fix for the min/max problem: write a script to open Word, then minimize and maximize the window.

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
For those who have done this, what is overall stability like, are you using Office apps for long time periods without problems or just testing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.