Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir 2012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Hello guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I have Windows 7 installed on my Mountain Lion macbook Air. As of yesterday I am unable to access the bootcamp partition from within Mac OSX. I'm able to boot inside bootcamp as normal but not able to access the partition from within OSX? Going into disk utility I can see the Windows partition although it isn't named "Bootcamp" as it was before, but now greyed out. Runnning disk repair doesn't help. Its also showing as Fat32 drive when it is definitely NTFS which windows needs to install.

At the same time the above happened I am now unable to access my external HD which was working fine before! It is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for TimeMachine back up but for some reason I cannot access it. The HD itself shows up when I connect to it but once I open the drive, its empty? I'm able to see the Time Machine back from within windows 7 but not in Mac OSX. Both of the above were working perfectly 2 days ago.

I'm hoping I dont have to reinstall either Windows/Mac OS as this is the 3rd time I'm doing so due to various problems. I've recently come across from Windows and am constantly struggling with Mac OS. In all my time with Windows I've never had to reinstall the whole operating system to fix an issue but with Mac OS it seems with any issues your alterative is to re-install the whole OS? I've owned the laptop for 1 month with light use - emails, Web, Apps - nothing heavy at all whilst I settle in/find my way around but continuing to experience problems. I'm getting more and more paranoid now and thinking if I've made the right choice moving over which is a shame as there are some great features.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Hello guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I have Windows 7 installed on my Mountain Lion macbook Air. As of yesterday I am unable to access the bootcamp partition from within Mac OSX. I'm able to boot inside bootcamp as normal but not able to access the partition from within OSX? Going into disk utility I can see the Windows partition although it isn't named "Bootcamp" as it was before, but now greyed out. Runnning disk repair doesn't help. Its also showing as Fat32 drive when it is definitely NTFS which windows needs to install.

At the same time the above happened I am now unable to access my external HD which was working fine before! It is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for TimeMachine back up but for some reason I cannot access it. The HD itself shows up when I connect to it but once I open the drive, its empty? I'm able to see the Time Machine back from within windows 7 but not in Mac OSX. Both of the above were working perfectly 2 days ago.

I'm hoping I dont have to reinstall either Windows/Mac OS as this is the 3rd time I'm doing so due to various problems. I've recently come across from Windows and am constantly struggling with Mac OS. In all my time with Windows I've never had to reinstall the whole operating system to fix an issue but with Mac OS it seems with any issues your alterative is to re-install the whole OS? I've owned the laptop for 1 month with light use - emails, Web, Apps - nothing heavy at all whilst I settle in/find my way around but continuing to experience problems. I'm getting more and more paranoid now and thinking if I've made the right choice moving over which is a shame as there are some great features.

Thanks,

I'm not running Bootcamp, but I still have the same issue with an external HDD as you are experiencing. I have all of my photographs on an external HDD. After upgrading to ML, I can no longer see the files. However, I can see them fine on my Snow Leopard machine. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.