Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neo-Tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Hi,

I noticed the other day in Disk Utility that my hard disk name has been renamed to "Mac HD" where it should be showing 500GB ST1234567890 as an example.

Here's a screenshot: http://d.pr/i/TF7Y

Any ideas how to get this back to how it should be? My hard drive is encrypted with FileVault, and I have repaired disk permissions and also verified the startup disk which came out as clean.

Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Disk Utility should be showing 2 names for each of your connected devices: The device name (500GB ST1234567890) and the partition name (Mac HD). If a device has multiple partitions, each one will be listed separately below the name of the device they live on.

In other words (I haven't looked at your screen shot) what you're reporting sounds completely normal.

Neo-Tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Aye, but the thing is the device name is showing as Mac HD where as it should be showing as 500GB STwhatever. So somehow it's been renamed :s

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Aye, but the thing is the device name is showing as Mac HD where as it should be showing as 500GB STwhatever. So somehow it's been renamed :s

This happened with the Mountain Lion update for me, and I assume Apple did this on purpose.

20120806-jg7nx5kbeba3epbmjumg6mfd53.jpg

Here is mine on 2012 MBA with Filevault2 on and Mountain Lion. Same setup under Lion showed the drive (top part not the partition) brand name, and now says Macintosh HD. So not the drive and partition both say Macintosh HD.

Why yours is Mac HD I have no idea. Was the partition Mac HD when you updated to ML maybe and it renamed the drive to match that?

----------

Disk Utility should be showing 2 names for each of your connected devices: The device name (500GB ST1234567890) and the partition name (Mac HD). If a device has multiple partitions, each one will be listed separately below the name of the device they live on.

In other words (I haven't looked at your screen shot) what you're reporting sounds completely normal.

Look at both our screen shots. On ML (at least with Filevault2 on) this is no longer the case.

Neo-Tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I think your theory may be correct, as my partition was named Mac HD before reformatting to Mountain Lion. Wonder why Apple did that as before I could click on info and it would provide me with information about the actual drive, unless that's moved to system information.

Anyone without FileVault have the same thing? Or is this universal for everything?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think your theory may be correct, as my partition was named Mac HD before reformatting to Mountain Lion. Wonder why Apple did that as before I could click on info and it would provide me with information about the actual drive, unless that's moved to system information.

Anyone without FileVault have the same thing? Or is this universal for everything?

Ah... that sounds like what happened then. That info is all in System Information if you need to see it. I noticed this right after I installed ML and your post is the first time I have seen anybody else comment on it. Does make me wonder if it is Filevault users only like you said.

If it bothers you, you can change the Macintosh HD to Mac HD so they match. Just go to Finder and select Macintosh HD and command-i to get info then change the name in the popup. It won't hurt anything to change. My OCD would compel me to have them matching. :D

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This happened with the Mountain Lion update for me, and I assume Apple did this on purpose.

20120806-jg7nx5kbeba3epbmjumg6mfd53.jpg

Here is mine on 2012 MBA with Filevault2 on and Mountain Lion. Same setup under Lion showed the drive (top part not the partition) brand name, and now says Macintosh HD. So not the drive and partition both say Macintosh HD.

Why yours is Mac HD I have no idea. Was the partition Mac HD when you updated to ML maybe and it renamed the drive to match that?

----------

Look at both our screen shots. On ML (at least with Filevault2 on) this is no longer the case.
That is interesting. On my Mac with ML and no FileVault, it appears the way it always has - i.e. not unified like the FileVault users are reporting.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That is interesting. On my Mac with ML and no FileVault, it appears the way it always has - i.e. not unified like the FileVault users are reporting.

I just checked my disk now - running ML - It's showing the full name of the HDD brand - no a friendly name like "Mac HD" etc. I don't have file vault on though.

Well there we go. Thanks for the reports. Looks like it is Filevault only then.

Neo-Tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Ah... that sounds like what happened then. That info is all in System Information if you need to see it. I noticed this right after I installed ML and your post is the first time I have seen anybody else comment on it. Does make me wonder if it is Filevault users only like you said.

If it bothers you, you can change the Macintosh HD to Mac HD so they match. Just go to Finder and select Macintosh HD and command-i to get info then change the name in the popup. It won't hurt anything to change. My OCD would compel me to have them matching. :D

I guess we got our answer! And I do wonder why Apple did this, it seems a bit odd really. Yep, I did, my OCD said I must. :p

Thanks again for the help guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.