Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 6, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1
hooneyrob
macrumors member

Fresh install after upgrade

Hi All,

Recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and decided that I would do a clean install today which I've done before under Lion (on the same machine) without any issues previously. It's a 2011 2.2 MacBook Pro with SSD.

However, this time I am receiving the following error (I've also included a pic of my setup using the disk utility).

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The Mac is connected via Ethernet by the way as I changed my SSID before doing the install and forgot that the Mac wouldn't have any wireless until I reconnected.

Rob.

hooneyrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:29 AM   #2
hooneyrob
macrumors member

I think this problem may occur because the Mac cannot reach the Apple servers to authenticate the OS before install.

I've no wireless connected but I have connected the Ethernet - can I add a wireless network using only system restore?

Edit to say: Internet connectivity is there so that's not the problem.

Last edited by hooneyrob; Aug 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:30 AM   #3
afurry13
macrumors 65816

Just reboot into recovery and wipe the drive.
afurry13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:14 AM   #4
hooneyrob
macrumors member

Already re-erased the drive but the hasn't change anything.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 04:37 PM   #5
hooneyrob
macrumors member

Well, I'm pretty stuck. I don't have any Lion install as the laptop was preinstalled with Lion.

The Command+Option+R combination doesn't force Internet restore. No matter how many times I re-erase, mount and unmount the drive etc the same issue occurs. Mountain Lion goes off to authenticate the restore with Apple and then that error occurs. The laptop is connected by Ethernet to the router so has connectivity - presuming the Ethernet is working of course. But there is no option to setup a wireless network under restore anyway. At any rate, I don't think it's a connectivity issue.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooneyrob View Post
Well, I'm pretty stuck. I don't have any Lion install as the laptop was preinstalled with Lion.

The Command+Option+R combination doesn't force Internet restore. No matter how many times I re-erase, mount and unmount the drive etc the same issue occurs. Mountain Lion goes off to authenticate the restore with Apple and then that error occurs. The laptop is connected by Ethernet to the router so has connectivity - presuming the Ethernet is working of course. But there is no option to setup a wireless network under restore anyway. At any rate, I don't think it's a connectivity issue.

You can turn on the wifi.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 02:18 AM   #7
hooneyrob
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
You can turn on the wifi.
I couldn't see an option, do you know how?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 02:24 AM   #8
laudern
macrumors 6502

Since when does apple wirelessly authenticate your OS prior to installation, especially when you have no OS actually installed on your pc...You have done something to your bootable USB or something has happened to it....
laudern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 05:00 PM   #9
hooneyrob
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laudern View Post
Since when does apple wirelessly authenticate your OS prior to installation, especially when you have no OS actually installed on your pc...You have done something to your bootable USB or something has happened to it....
Hi, I don't have a bootable USB - I'm using the recovery partition. If it doesn't authenticate then fine but I'm still unable to fix this.

As said, I cannot force Mountain Lion to boot to the Internet even using the Command+Option+R (Command+R only works if you have no restore partition). In theory, the recovery from Internet should work as I have a 2011 MacBook Pro 15 2.2 but... it's not.

All said and done, I still have the recovery partition as per the screen shots in my first post so I should be able to restore Mountain Lion. I've erased, mounted, unmounted etc but getting that same error.

At any rate, any help is appreciated because I'm now using my Windows laptop full time and actually.. finding it not too bad

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion