Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 6, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1
jincheker
macrumors newbie

Shut down time became too long on Mountain Lion

I've freshly installed Mountain Lion. For first few days, the start and shut down went fast. But recently, the shut down takes really long time, it keeps showing the white and grey loading symbol before it finally shut down.

This might happend after one day, when I was browsing through Chrome, I mistakenly touched some short-key, and Chrome begins to "Converting" something, and the computer became really slow, seems like died. So I shut down my air directly by pressing the power button. After that, the shut down time became very long.

I don't know if this is really causing by chrome. Does anyone have the same problem? How can I fix this?
jincheker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Wokis
macrumors regular

Well I don't have any solution, but under Lion my MBA could sometimes hang on shutdown. It'd only display that gray screen and nothing more would happen.

I thought maybe it'd fix itself with mountain Lion, and it actually did! Now, I get the same as you. Sometimes it simply takes a little longer for it to shut down but at least it does!

Maybe there's a terminal command to put in to have OSX force shutting down non responding processes faster. That'd be neat. Or maybe that's not the problem.

Anyway I've ended up just closing the lid when I'm done. The issue only bothers me when I have to restart.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 09:44 AM   #3
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

I did an upgrade install and find that there is a spinning circle in the centre for about 10 secs, then it shuts right down
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Skoopman
macrumors 6502

I have the same "problem", but I think it only occurs, when some applications or processes still run in the background. So quit everything, wait a few seconds and shut down the MBA.
Skoopman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Shut down takes longer because there's more to do at shutdown now. Tons of harddrive activity.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:57 PM   #6
k3roro
macrumors 6502

Hmm I've actually experienced less shut-down time =\
Old Aug 6, 2012, 01:27 PM   #7
NeonBible
macrumors member

I have the same experience with the shut down time. Also, the first days, the boot-up time was around 12 sec with ML but now it's like 16–17 sec.
NeonBible is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Barna Biro
macrumors 6502a

I didn't bother updating, instead I went for a clean install. Start-up and shutdown times are at least as fast as before on Lion, if not slightly faster. Of course, I'm running on a MBP and not a MBA ( not yet at least, but soon will ).
Barna Biro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 03:09 PM   #9
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
A friend of mine said the same thing about his 2010 13" MBP. He said when he did a clean install of ML startup and shutdown were very fast.

He then installed MS Office 2011 and he said startup and shutdown times increased quite a bit.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 03:28 PM   #10
isrefel
macrumors member

I made a thread about this issue about a week ago but got no replies. It seems that the shutdown time increase is due to power nap. Shut it off and shutdown times return to normal.
isrefel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Barna Biro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman View Post
A friend of mine said the same thing about his 2010 13" MBP. He said when he did a clean install of ML startup and shutdown were very fast.

He then installed MS Office 2011 and he said startup and shutdown times increased quite a bit.
I also have the entire MS Office suite installed and it didn't change a thing.
No slowdown, no nothing... works like a charm...
Barna Biro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 04:46 PM   #12
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barna Biro View Post
I also have the entire MS Office suite installed and it didn't change a thing.
No slowdown, no nothing... works like a charm...
I'm going by what he told me. I personally use LibreOffice over bloated MS Office.

From your signature, you have a pretty powerful machine with 16GB RAM.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 05:25 PM   #13
kaks
macrumors member

I agree

It takes about 10 seconds and a spinning wheel before it shuts down.

It's annoying, don't know why it slowed things down.
kaks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:08 PM   #14
maxonthemac
macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have also been suffering from the slow shutdown problem for a while now. Finally, I have found a workaround that seems to be persistently working for me. If interested, you can find it described in detail in this post.
maxonthemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air