Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Timzer
Banned

Are you looking forward to TIZEN?

Any of you plan on giving Tizen a run when it first comes out? I know I definitely will.
Samsung's Executive Vice President, J-D Choi gives a demo of HTML5/CSS3 apps on Tizen running on a Galaxy S2 HD. This at the 2012 Tizen Developer Conference in San Francisco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1z0xRNvPTA&feature=plcp

Last edited by Timzer; Aug 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Timzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Calidude
Banned

I'd love for iOS and Android to get hit hard by competition but at the snails pace Tizen is going, with nearly no publicity about it and it being based on HTML5, there's not much to be excited about. Firefox OS is yet another HTML5 phone that just...doesn't strike me as a good alternative.

We need a true Linux OS for phones that is built more like iOS, and we need BB10 to actually be a hit in order to make iOS and Android realize they may need to do more to get the BB users.
Calidude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Dontazemebro
macrumors 65816

Tell me they didn't just try to bring back the cube from the samsung behold 2?

This has bust written over it just like Bada. Samsung needs to just stick with copying apple, it's what they do best.
Dontazemebro is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 07:49 AM   #4
sentinelsx
macrumors 68000

Not really. From all the previews and hand-on it looks like another android wanna be OS layer on top of a borrowed linux kernel with samsung's GB era touch wiz (yuck!).

I would rather take meego if it wasn't dead.

I just hope BB10 and WP8 make it alive. Getting sick of the iPhone and galaxy duopoly nowadays.
sentinelsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:08 AM   #5
cube
macrumors G3

I don't care about HTML-based OSes.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
rugbygangster
macrumors newbie

You should, because HTML5 is universal, portable and has a rich experience.
rugbygangster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:50 PM   #7
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinelsx View Post
on top of a borrowed linux kernel
You say that like it's a bad thing!
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:42 AM   #8
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbygangster View Post
You should, because HTML5 is universal, portable and has a rich experience.
Java and Qt are also portable, no need to muck around HTML for non-web applications.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:25 AM   #9
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidude View Post
We need a true Linux OS for phones that is built more like iOS
Yeah, they should make that! Call it something like Maemo or Meego or OpenMoko or SLP. Oh wait...

Both Android and the former WebOS are true Linux OSes. They use the Linux kernel after all.

----------

Quote:
on top of a borrowed linux kernel
Borrowed ? I'm pretty sure they haven't borrowed anything, they just licensed it like everyone else does.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:11 PM   #10
matttye
macrumors 601

Yes but not because of tizen itself, more because more competition = better devices!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:36 PM   #11
sentinelsx
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Yeah, they should make that! Call it something like Maemo or Meego or OpenMoko or SLP. Oh wait...

Both Android and the former WebOS are true Linux OSes. They use the Linux kernel after all.

----------

Borrowed ? I'm pretty sure they haven't borrowed anything, they just licensed it like everyone else does.
Well but they are Java based VMs running on top of the kernel. Why can't they scratch that and instead write it in a C variant and abolish the VM model? I am sure it will work out far better.
sentinelsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:40 PM   #12
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Well but they are Java based VMs running on top of the kernel. Why can't they scratch that and instead write it in a C variant and abolish the VM model? I am sure it will work out far better.
How would it be better ? In terms of ease of deployment for 3rd parties, it would add unnecessary steps of recompiling a binary for every known architecture, so it would hurt portability. Remember,. Android doesn't just run on top of ARM, there are devices out there that use Intel's x86 based Medfield platform. The Davlik VM gives them to opportunity of making that transparent to developers and users who can just buy apps whatever their device's SoC architecture.

Performance ? Debateable. Davlik and other VMs are nowadays quite efficient at certain operations, and with JIT compilation and bytecode interpretation hybrid models, they can on the fly optimize certain portions of code that execute frequently without incurring the penalty of compiling the bytecode on every launch.

Then there's the added complexities of these lower level languages, like memory management (especially memory management in the case of C).

But that only applies to 3rd party developers. Davlik itself is written in C++ (can't really execute itself now can it...) and probably most of the display server is also not executed within Davlik either. Then there's the NDK for those devs that really need lower level access and are ready to sacrifice the RAD environnement provided by Android's frameworks.

In the end, they are no less true Linux OSes. Linux is a kernel, it doesn't really define the userspace requirements. Busybox, GNU, a custom userspace like Android or even WebOS, it's all moot, the kernel doesn't care. It scedules processes, provides a VFS layer to organize storage into a single syscall interface, provides networking and a HAL.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:39 PM   #13
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

From what I've seen, it generates zero excitement.

Blackerry 10 and Windows Phone 8 though...
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:23 PM   #14
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Why can't they scratch that and instead write it in a C variant and abolish the VM model? I am sure it will work out far better.
You can write Android apps (or portions of them) in c and c++ using the NDK:
http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices