Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We're receiving numerous report that Apple today released the fourth beta of iOS 6, the company's next-generation mobile operating system set to launch "this fall", presumably alongside new iPhone hardware with an official announcement at Apple's September 12 media event.

As with previous builds, the new one is arriving as an over-the-air update first, and it is generating some confusion since it is labeled as "beta 3" despite being offered to users who already have the third beta installed on their devices.

ios_beta_4_ota_3.jpg

iOS 6 Beta 4 over-the-air update incorrectly labeled as Beta 3
The fourth beta, which reportedly arrives as Build 10A5376e, comes three weeks after the previous developer version of Build 10A5355d.

We'll update this post with additional information on the new release as it surfaces.

Update: iOS 6 Beta 4 is now showing up in Apple's iOS Developer Center:

ios_6_beta_4.jpg

Xcode 4.5 Developer Preview 4 and Apple TV Software Beta 4 have also been made available to developers today.

Update 2: While the removal of the dedicated YouTube app is the biggest change in iOS 6 Beta 4 seen so far, there have been several other additions and changes, with some of them being tracked in this thread.

- New "Wi-Fi Plus Cellular" toggle in Settings allows apps to automatically fall back to cellular data when the Wi-Fi network the device is connected to is not performing well.

ios_6_beta_4_wifi_cellular.jpg

- Passbook app now has a new "App Store" button on the welcome screen. While the button does not currently function, it will presumably take users to a dedicated section of the App Store for apps that integrate with Passbook.

passbook_app_store_link.jpg

- The dedicated Privacy section in Settings has a new listing for Bluetooth Sharing to help monitor and control which devices can share data via Bluetooth.

ios_6_privacy_bluetooth.jpg

- Bug with Passbook brightness has been fixed. Launching the Passbook app automatically forces device to full brightness for optimal scanning of barcodes, but in the previous beta the brightness did not return to normal upon closing the app.

(Thanks to Elijah Walsh for tips on changes!)

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 6 Beta 4 to Developers

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Cool! I'm exited to see what this update brings. I hope it appears for all of us soon as my system is telling me there's an error checking for updates.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Let's hope there are some security fixes for iCloud *cough*encryption*coughcough*

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Hopefully this build fixes some of the bugs I've had in B3, such as iMessaging and FaceTime not working. My friends keep asking why my messages are coming from my email not my phone.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
an official announcement at Apple's September 12 media event

But is the September 12 media event itself even "official" yet?

Here's to hoping that Tim Cook keeps true to his "doubling-down on secrecy" comment and the September 12 date and the iPhone 5 parts, mockups, etc. are a part of deliberate spread of disinformation. I really like Tim Cook; I'd love for him to get the last laugh on some of these rumors.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Hopefully this build fixes some of the bugs I've had in B3, such as iMessaging and FaceTime not working. My friends keep asking why my messages are coming from my email not my phone.

This was an overall iMessage bug from what I gathered. If you reset network settings they would activate properly.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
My friends keep asking why my messages are coming from my email not my phone.

Tell them the truth - that you're an iOS developer using a Beta product on your development iPhone. Tell your friends to contact you on your other phone - your personal phone.

That's true? Correct?

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010

I'm not sure this is a bug. Messages uses your Apple ID email address to sync your messages with all your iOS devices and your computer (Mountain Lion).

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Tell them the truth - that you're an iOS developer using a Beta product on your development iPhone. Tell your friends to contact you on your other phone - your personal phone.

That's true? Correct?

A bit harsh, not all developers keep seperate devices, many of us 'hobbyists' have to use our main phone and take the chances :)

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
"An error occurred while checking for a software update." Server must be overloaded? Downloading and installing manually instead. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.