Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acosmichippo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Like this:

aGqjr.png

I personally find it tedious to look at the icons on the dock for new notification badges. To me, it would be much easier to be able to look in just one place for new notifications, and then click on that same place to see them in detail.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Never consider it, yet a good idea. For non-alert notifications that fade out, you may miss something while away from your system.

I wouldn't mind an app that you could place in your dock (something akin to Mail, Contacts, etc), might be easier to see.

Good idea :)

Recommend giving feedback:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I wouldn't mind an app that you could place in your dock (something akin to Mail, Contacts, etc), might be easier to see.
I don't have ML booted up right now but don't your icons already do this in the dock? I think mine bounce as well.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I don't have ML booted up right now but don't your icons already do this in the dock? I think mine bounce as well.

They do for individual app's, good point. Was thinking of a way to make it easier to notice notifications that may not be in your dock. Hmmm. Oh well. :)

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I hate badges for some reason but some sort of reminder that you have pending alerts would be nice. Maybe a dimming icon on the menu bar? Turn the icon red itself?

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
please not a badge or a red thing.
It's meant to be unobtrusive.
in the betas, the icon was a ring. when you had notifications, it had a black dot inside the black ring.

a red icon will distract me, but the current black one (and the other menu bar icons) don't. And they shouldn't!

Crisis

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Exactly the same thing I have thought about. Now there is no number and I don't feel any difference if there are or there aren't notifications.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Like this:

I personally find it tedious to look at the icons on the dock for new notification badges. To me, it would be much easier to be able to look in just one place for new notifications, and then click on that same place to see them in detail.

Very nice work!

Give us an easy way to turn it off when we wish & you'd have the best of both worlds. :)

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I was going to post the exact same thing. I love the notification centre, but it seems a little pointless as it doesn't actually notify me of anything unless I open it. If I'm away from my desk for a while, and the Growl-like banners have gone (I know the alerts setting means they stay on screen), I want to know what notifications I have at a glance. I'm surprised there is no badge/icon/alert. Even if the notifications icon in the menubar could glow or pulse when there are new notifications, that might be less obtrusive than a red badge.

acosmichippo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2008
please not a badge or a red thing.
It's meant to be unobtrusive.
in the betas, the icon was a ring. when you had notifications, it had a black dot inside the black ring.

a red icon will distract me, but the current black one (and the other menu bar icons) don't. And they shouldn't!

It gets my attention, which is the whole point; if I have an important notification that I missed the banner for, I want to know about it.

Last edited:

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Some sort of indication would be nice, not everyone has every app in the dock. However, instead of a badge, I was thinking if the NC icon had a subtle blue glow around it, it wouldn't be annoying, it would look nice, and still show that you have notifications waiting.

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
It gets my attention, which is the whole point; if I have an important notification that I missed the banner for, I want to know about it.

pfft.
if it's important, you'd have an alert, not a banner.
aMost people don't want badges everywhere. especially red ones. Menubar icons should be black or grey. If you need an icon, look at your dock.

acosmichippo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Right, well if you read my reasoning in the initial post, you'd know the idea is to consolidate notifications in one spot for quick checking. Alerts are silly because they aren't just obtrusive - they're intrusive. I don't want to have to click an alert every time I get an email, message, etc. just to uncover what is lying beneath them. And by the way, the battery icon turns red when it's low. You know, to get your attention.

I understand that it doesn't suit your needs. More power to ya.

Last edited:

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
I think I'd prefer if the notification centre icon just changed colour, perhaps to red, if there are notifications that haven't been seen yet, but I could live with a badge.

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
i get the idea. But a red badge is a crummy idea. Just like it changes to grey if notification centre is off, i would welcome the option for the icon to change if there are new notifications.

but there is a deep issue with that. I've always got some ical event in my notifications centre. So it's always going to have some items in there. These iCal events don't go away just because i've seen them. So is my notifications centre always going to be showing 'new items'? or a badge?

acosmichippo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2008
but there is a deep issue with that. I've always got some ical event in my notifications centre. So it's always going to have some items in there. These iCal events don't go away just because i've seen them. So is my notifications centre always going to be showing 'new items'? or a badge?

I doubt it would show new items for regular iCal events - probably only for alerts set for the events. Or at least that's how I'd imagine it.

Just like in iOS, we don't get a notification for every single calendar event - just alerts.

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
I doubt it would show new items for regular iCal events - probably only for alerts set for the events. Or at least that's how I'd imagine it.

Just like in iOS, we don't get a notification for every single calendar event - just alerts.
it's not about the alert though.
in iOS, it doesn't tell you how many items are IN the notification centre.

what you want, is a counter saying how manny banners you've missed.
and it's unlikely that you're going to get that option.

if it's important to you, use an alert, if it's not so important, use a banner.
BOTH end up in the notification centre for you to look at later.
you can see how many you missed in the dock.

acosmichippo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2008
what's wrong with a counter? If we're changing the color or adding a badge, why not a number too? Seems like an efficient use of space to me.

How iOS does it is irrelevant; it's a different platform. On my iPhone, notifications I miss get collected on the lock screen, which I will see next time I unlock my phone. OSX doesn't have a lock screen (at least not one that works like iOS's), so missed notifications just get silently dumped into the notification center. This means I have to either click on the button to check them, or scan my dock with dozens of icons for new badges.

Regarding your other points, I have addressed those earlier, so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.