Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctferrara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
Hey Everyone,

So I recently bought this gps dongle from amazon. ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WNHGAO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 )

It comes tomorrow and I've been looking for software to use with it. Ideally I would like to be able to use my macbook as a giant TomTom, aka offline maps and turn by turn directions. At the bare minimum I would like offline maps that I can just see my current location on.

I thought this would be easy to find but it turned out to be pretty tough. Route66 seemed to be a nice solution at one point, but the mac version is since discontinued. And, RouteBuddy looks promising but I don't relish the idea of putting down $40 on the software plus another $30 for a map that I should be able to get for free.

So, anybody out there using a GPS receiver with a mac? If so, what apps do you use?

RouteBuddy

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
Hi,

You want TomTom maps, with turn by turn directions, on your MacBook and don't want to pay for the maps? Even though TomTom have to collect and process the data, RouteBuddy have to engineer software, and maps, and $30 for the maps is a lot of money?

You can't be serious, surely now? Do you work for free? TomTom and RouteBuddy don't and can't afford to.

-

Route66 died over ten years ago and the only road navigation app on the Mac now is RouteBuddy, which we work very hard on to evolve a good product. And that has value in itself.

RouteBuddy Maps are rendered at a higher level than any other, so you get the best on any computer screen. Try it and see.

Neil Wilson-Harris
-------------------------
CEO RouteBuddy Ltd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.