Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:51 AM   #1
bajsko
macrumors newbie

app only works when debugging inside xcode?

Hi, i have made an app that extracts a zip files contents, everything works when i run it inside xcode, but when i just double click the .app it doesn't extract Do i need some permission or something please help!
bajsko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 04:58 PM   #2
rcplusplus
macrumors newbie

I believe that when running inside xcode the current directory is where your app is, while when running it from the finder, its the home (users/***) directory. Im not sure, but if thats the case, then you can get the directory of your app and set the current directory to that
rcplusplus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
rcplusplus
macrumors newbie

By the way, if you're using c++, then you may be able to use argv[0]. Or if you're using the Foundation framework, go through the documentation for NSFileManager and see what they have for you.
rcplusplus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 03:47 AM   #4
bajsko
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcplusplus View Post
I believe that when running inside xcode the current directory is where your app is, while when running it from the finder, its the home (users/***) directory. Im not sure, but if thats the case, then you can get the directory of your app and set the current directory to that
Look, the directory is /Applications/AnAppWichContainsAZipFile
So, shouldn't it just work?
bajsko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:41 AM   #5
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajsko View Post
Look, the directory is /Applications/AnAppWichContainsAZipFile
So, shouldn't it just work?
You'll have to provide more details than that.

First, did you make an actual bundled app, or a command-line tool? Are you passing parameters? What are they? Are you using builtin or hard-wired pathnames, or does your code dynamically determine the pathnames of files?

Second, exactly what fails? Does the program fail to find the zip file? Does it fail to open it? Fail when parsing? Fail when writing extracted data? Exactly where is it trying to write the data? Exactly what are the pathnames of the input and output files?

Third, what is the code? Did you write it yourself from scratch? Copy it from somewhere? Where?
chown33 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming