Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Looking into buying a MacBook Air, but unsure where to get it from, either Apple direct, or John Lewis. Does it really matter? Would the Apple Store have 'better' devices and stuff, or would it be the same across the board in all the shops?

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
Looking into buying a MacBook Air, but unsure where to get it from, either Apple direct, or John Lewis. Does it really matter? Would the Apple Store have 'better' devices and stuff, or would it be the same across the board in all the shops?

In terms of trying to identify which store has more lemons, that can't be done. But small shops/businesses or universities that are authorized resellers sometimes carry old models at discounted prices. You can also get better deals and discounts than Apple retail. However, a downside I also found is that the computers they sell, though current models, are usually manufactured a long time ago (could be a few months) - by looking at serial numbers on some of their boxes. That's just how it is.

If you want the latest software installed your best bet is Apple Store online (example, Mountain Lion) but otherwise going to a brick and mortar Apple Store is sort of just for bragging rights and feeling "at home."

Last edited:

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
John Lewis has the latest Air's in stock, and they also offer an extra years warranty along with Apple's standard one year of warranty, but am not sure whether the extra year would be worth it, as apparently for the second year, repairs aren't done by Apple, which put's me off slightly, but at the same time gives me peace of mind.

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
John Lewis has the latest Air's in stock, and they also offer an extra years warranty along with Apple's standard one year of warranty, but am not sure whether the extra year would be worth it, as apparently for the second year, repairs aren't done by Apple, which put's me off slightly, but at the same time gives me peace of mind.

Do you have an American Express card? If so, use it to purchase your mac and you get a free warranty for an extra year anyway. What's the price at John Lewis. (Is Amex even in Europe?)

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I got mine from Best Buy.

There is no advantage to buying one from the Mac Store unless you want interaction from the employees.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
The benefit of buying from the Apple Store is that you don't have to deal with the employees at Best Buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.