Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Aug 7, 2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Demigod Mac
macrumors 6502

Soundblaster on Mac Pro

I'm considering getting a sound card for my Mac Pro 5,1 - for both audio in OS X and Bootcamp.

Has anyone had any experience with this and can recommend a specific card? (I'd like the best possible - although I'm not doing any professional audio editing or composing, just for high quality listening and gaming)

For drivers I'm looking at these. Anyone tried them in Mountain Lion, if so are there any issues or annoyances with this setup?

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/
Demigod Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 01:55 PM   #2
lixuelai
macrumors 6502a

Your best bet is to use a USB or Firewire DAC. There aren't many OSX compatible sound cards out there as sound cards are typically for gaming. Professionals use external interfaces. The downside of a DAC is that you cannot control the volume within OSX. But if you are set on a card you can get X-Fi working with VoodooHDA (will probably need some hacking). That site you linked is ported drivers for much older Creative SB derived cards.
lixuelai is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio