Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tft87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
So basically my macbook crashed and I'm trying to recover any files from it (hoping they are still available). I'm able to boot up the crashed mac into target disk mode. Once I do that and connect it to another mac, I click on the "Macintosh HD" button on the working mac and there's a list of folders in it, like applications, home, library, etc. The problem is there is nothing in any of the folders. Does this mean I've lost everything from my crashed computer? This is my first time doing anything like this. Thank you for any help.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Your data has been corrupted or your drive has failed. I would recommend following this article to get your data back, though it might cost you money at a data recovery service if you can't access anything.

Glad you had backups, right? Right? ;)

tft87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Your data has been corrupted or your drive has failed. I would recommend following this article to get your data back, though it might cost you money at a data recovery service if you can't access anything.

Glad you had backups, right? Right? ;)

So I downloaded a demo of data recovery, did a scan, and apparently it found my files. Do I have to buy the full version to recover my stuff or is there another way? Thanks

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
You'd be better off asking the developer of that tool or doing a quick Google search than asking here.

tft87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
You'd be better off asking the developer of that tool or doing a quick Google search than asking here.

Well of course the developer will want me to buy the product. Someone here must know.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Well of course the developer will want me to buy the product. Someone here must know.

First of all, we don't know which company you bought the data recovery software from. Second, there are most likely manual ways to do this. I don't know them off the top of my head, but I'm sure you could find guides on the internet.

Recovering data isn't quick or easy. There is a reason hard drive recovery businesses charge $1000+ per drive. Just take this as an opportunity to learn from your mistake. Back up your data!! Most people have to experience once before they actually understand how expensive data recovery can be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.