Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1
iLive
macrumors member

Air bezel and screen design, poor

I was at a store, and I noticed a laptop (Dell XPS 13") and I thought: "Why haven't able done this on the Air?" The screen was like on the MacBook Pro; one layer. And the bezel was really small compared to the current MacBook Air design. It also made the laptop smaller without losing size on keyboard or screen because it's only the bezel that gets smaller. I was wondering, why haven't Apple done this? I am pretty sure it will be on the next redesign, or perhaps I am wrong? Not sure if it's because the XPS is thicker which results in less wide bezel, or? :S
iLive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:51 PM   #2
mrs1986
macrumors regular

I dont see the big thing... Is the Air 11 size with a 13 screen... Not big deal and actually awfull...
mrs1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Nova Sensei
macrumors 6502

My strong hatred of bezel's is certainly making me consider holding off until the 2013 revision, just to see if there are any design changes.

However, as i sit here typing on my chunky bezzeled work laptop, I realise that I don't notice the bezel at all when viewing the screen.
Nova Sensei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:29 PM   #4
seared.ahi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLive View Post
I was at a store, and I noticed a laptop (Dell XPS 13") and I thought: "Why haven't able done this on the Air?" The screen was like on the MacBook Pro; one layer. And the bezel was really small compared to the current MacBook Air design. It also made the laptop smaller without losing size on keyboard or screen because it's only the bezel that gets smaller. I was wondering, why haven't Apple done this? I am pretty sure it will be on the next redesign, or perhaps I am wrong? Not sure if it's because the XPS is thicker which results in less wide bezel, or? :S
I'd been using a 15" Powerbook for 7 years. That has the thinnest bezel of any Mac laptop ever, a true beauty. It's half the width of the Macbook Air bezel, no joke (I'm looking at it right now). Therefore, I thought I'd hate using the Macbook Air screen. However, it's really grown on me. The "big bezel" does not annoy me anymore.
seared.ahi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Don't look at the bezel. Look at the screen. Problem solved.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:37 PM   #6
scarred
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange furball View Post
Don't look at the bezel. Look at the screen. Problem solved.
Ya, you are looking at it wrong!
scarred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:59 PM   #7
takezo808
macrumors member

the vast majority of mac users seem to like the mac book air design. Which it's probably why it's the number one selling Mac.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are tons of lousey designed PCs out their you may love.
takezo808 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:59 PM   #8
bradPiano
macrumors member

I thought I would hate this bezel. I was able to use my Powerbook G4 all the way through to this latest 2012 13" Air, so part of me felt like I was missing out on the flush, black-bordered, glossy hotness of the more recent MBP models.

Honestly, though, sitting here working on this machine really feels like a nice nod to that very Powerbook that got me through college and beyond, so I have to say I've grown to really appreciate it. In many ways, it's the perfect next step from what has come before.
bradPiano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:06 AM   #9
dkersten
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarred View Post
Damn! No wonder why my screen got in the way of my bezel
dkersten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:46 AM   #10
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarred View Post
I just tried staring directly at the "MacBook" logo on the bezel... pictures have never seemed clearer! I couldn't even see the individual pixels! I feel... reborn!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 01:07 AM   #11
gf1b
macrumors newbie

Air bezel and screen design, poor

Seriously? That's a super-ugly machine. Good luck with your Dell.
gf1b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 01:43 AM   #12
mag01
macrumors member

I have to agree with the OP. The current MBA design has a lot to improve. At 13" model it doesn't look that bad, but 11" is just ridiculous.
I've been unsuccessfully waiting for some redesign since the 2010 revisions appeared and unfortunately it didn't happen even though various ultrabook makers now come with designs that show there are real possibilities to do it different way. I hope next revision will finally bring some change, like larger display in the body of approx. the same dimensions, 16:10 (and hopefully IPS) display for MBA 11" etc.
mag01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 01:56 AM   #13
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLive View Post
You're not wrong, but it's your opinion. I like the bezel and, frankly, I hardly even notice whether it's there or not when I switch between my MBA and MBP.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 07:44 AM   #14
mayuka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag01 View Post
I've been unsuccessfully waiting for some redesign since the 2010 revisions appeared and unfortunately it didn't happen even though various ultrabook makers now come with designs that show there are real possibilities to do it different way. I hope next revision will finally bring some change, like larger display in the body of approx. the same dimensions, 16:10 (and hopefully IPS) display for MBA 11" etc.
I really have the same hopes, but sadly I don't think it will happen. Making the bezel smaller and the display thinner will result in a very unstable upper shell. The only thing I could imagine is that Apple agglutinates a Retina display with the bezel.
iPhone 4S, iPod 4G + Mini
mayuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air