Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
there are tons of tutorials online but they all change every year it seems.

can someone tell me once & for all what the best settings are to export videos off imovie for a youtube video?

i tried doing share >>> export movie >>> HD setting playback was smooth but there are still two black bars on the side of my video

i tried doing manual settings in export using quicktime using this instruction: http://www.applemacvideo.com/imovie/export-imovie-to-youtube.html and that got rid of the black bars but playback was really choppy

please help.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
That guide has a couple major flaws. 64kbps audio, seriously? In Step 4 I always recommend going with "Best" "Automatic" quality Multi-Pass instead of a constant bitrate like they recommend (doesn't really matter though as long as your constant bitrate is high enough). Make your image size as high as it will go up to your source video size. And then for Audio make sure you choose the highest bitrate, I use 320kbps AAC Stereo for my videos on YouTube. Fast start should be enabled. The adjustments to dimensions are fine if they succeed in removing the black bars for you. With these new settings if it plays back choppy on YouTube can you show us an example?

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Sounds like a standard definition camera, which your trying to make to wide screen, getting the two black bars on both sides of the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.