Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndresHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
I was wondering what was the source behind iOS 6 maps traffic data, some people said it was from Waze but its not... its based on the new TomTom HD Traffic from TomTom tecnology.

Here's a screenshot comparing cupertino city´s traffic on iOS 6 and TomTom HD Traffic:

TomTomTraffic.png

And here's one from iOS 6 Maps:

856BB05A-4DA2-4A73-B633-5B4981D804A3-960.jpg

Note the lines are in the same place as TomTom HD Traffic... What you think?

AndresHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
That's what I thought.

Sorry OP, not a very profound discovery

lol all of people says was speculation about the source of traffic data... I just did some proves to clarify that... In some sites it says the data came from Waze traffic.

AndresHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah i know that but it says: "TomTom has signed a global agreement with Apple® for maps and related information. No further details of the agreement will be provided." they are not specifying what TomTom services are on the Apple Maps it could be the turn by turn navigation or even the mapping data, we don't know what services from TomTom are on the Apple Maps.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I was wondering what was the source behind iOS 6 maps traffic data, some people said it was from Waze but its not... its based on the new TomTom HD Traffic from TomTom tecnology.

Here's a screenshot comparing cupertino city´s traffic on iOS 6 and TomTom HD Traffic:

And here's one from iOS 6 Maps:

Note the lines are in the same place as TomTom HD Traffic... What you think?

Yes! I was hoping for this!!

TomTom HD Traffic is by far the best in the business. I've tried them all and TomTom is the only one I trust. I suspect they are about to get a few million more mobile data points :D

Thanks for the find AndresHD!

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Yes! I was hoping for this!!

TomTom HD Traffic is by far the best in the business. I've tried them all and TomTom is the only one I trust. I suspect they are about to get a few million more mobile data points :D

Thanks for the find AndresHD!

I'm pretty excited about this, too. :) The TomTom app is the only one I use from the App Store. I just hope the Apple Maps will have an option to download full maps so a cellular connection isn't required.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah i know that but it says: "TomTom has signed a global agreement with Apple® for maps and related information. No further details of the agreement will be provided." they are not specifying what TomTom services are on the Apple Maps it could be the turn by turn navigation or even the mapping data, we don't know what services from TomTom are on the Apple Maps.

Yeah, whatever. You posted old news, big deal.

AndresHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, whatever. You posted old news, big deal.

I'm not trying to be the hero here or the discover man I just wanted to inform about that cuz I know they are some people who don't know about this like the guys above no offense

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
As already stated, tomtom's traffic is really good.

Hopefully this means it will be even better as ios 6 users start firing up the maps app in the coming months too.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
This. They definitely said it at the keynote.

Yeah, well it is. Every decent traffic data is crowd-sourced. TomTom uses location data of mobile phones to create their traffic data (not only iPhones but other phones from certain cellular providers as well). That pretty much is, what Apple meant at the keynote.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
How would iOS users report it?

Yeah, well it is. Every decent traffic data is crowd-sourced. TomTom uses location data of mobile phones to create their traffic data (not only iPhones but other phones from certain cellular providers as well). That pretty much is, what Apple meant at the keynote.

Just watched that part of the keynote again and they said in addition to other data sources they are using real time crowd sourced data from iOS users. That clears it up. Thanks :)

Djs621

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
They take anonymous travel data from ios users.. So if a certain number of IOS Users are traveling at 10mph on a road they know that their is a traffic problem in that area.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
They take anonymous travel data from ios users.. So if a certain number of IOS Users are traveling at 10mph on a road they know that their is a traffic problem in that area.

As i already said, not only iOS users but other phones as well. Vodafone (Germany and UK) for example provides TomTom with anonymous data of all phones registered to any of their cell towers.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
As i already said, not only iOS users but other phones as well. Vodafone (Germany and UK) for example provides TomTom with anonymous data of all phones registered to any of their cell towers.

So how exactly does this work? The phone has to be in some navigation mode? Or is it on all the time?

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA

Apple collects traffic data. This doesn't mean it is for TomTom.

And, TomTom isn't the only source.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
So how exactly does this work? The phone has to be in some navigation mode? Or is it on all the time?

The mobile provider can see in which mobile network cells all the phones are currently registered, and when a phone hops from one cell to the other, they have an approximate speed of the movement of that cellphone.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
The mobile provider can see in which mobile network cells all the phones are currently registered, and when a phone hops from one cell to the other, they have an approximate speed of the movement of that cellphone.

Leave wifi on and apple can just scan how quickly you're passing by wifi access points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.