Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:03 PM   #51
seans9
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
We've gone over this before. "Early iPhone upgrade" is $250 on top of the $199/299/399 subsidized price.
Just called ATT and they confirmed what I thought. If the account is not past due, I can buy a new iPhone for the subsidized price + $36 upgrade fee.

That should be clear from the text. In the first one they mention the $250 + $36. In the second it just says $36.
seans9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:07 PM   #52
GoreVidal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerplexShyt View Post
i've been eligible for an upgrade since the iphone 4s came out. But I got my 4s for free because the at&t store forgot to charge me.

They even did a "sale audit" of some sort. They called me back and said, hey, when you came in for your iphone, did you pay for it?" I said, yes i did!

When in all actuality, I walked out of that store without paying. The guy was new, so I think he just set up the phone and forgot to charge me for it. hahaha
Keep it classy PerplexShyt
GoreVidal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:27 PM   #53
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by seans9 View Post
Just called ATT and they confirmed what I thought. If the account is not past due, I can buy a new iPhone for the subsidized price + $36 upgrade fee.

That should be clear from the text. In the first one they mention the $250 + $36. In the second it just says $36.
You sure the rep gave you the correct information? Everyone else who got that text and looked further into it eventually find out about the $250.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:32 PM   #54
cableguy619
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
You sure the rep gave you the correct information? Everyone else who got that text and looked further into it eventually find out about the $250.
My buddy is a higher up manager at AT&T. Just asked him and he stated " that no the contract terms have not been modified for the new release, if we do so then a contract will have to be at least half completed."

This is my personal friend and has no reason to say different. In Sean's case I don't think they gave him the correct info.
__________________
27" iMac, 3.1 GHz 4 GB RAM 1 Ter HD | Canon 5D Mark III 24-100L IS 70-200L 2.8 IS
cableguy619 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:37 PM   #55
Shanewilliams
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by seans9 View Post
Just called ATT and they confirmed what I thought. If the account is not past due, I can buy a new iPhone for the subsidized price + $36 upgrade fee.

That should be clear from the text. In the first one they mention the $250 + $36. In the second it just says $36.

I hope you're correct. I've been getting the same text you got(minus the billing part) for the past week. I get the exact message on my wife's iPhone that has a launch day iPhone 4 and is eligible for a upgrade at full subsidized pricing. Either way I figure I'll know for sure next week sometime. So, I'm tired of worrying about it either way I guess. I'll just go in this Saturday and put in some overtime just in case!
Shanewilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:43 PM   #56
cableguy619
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanewilliams View Post
I hope you're correct. I've been getting the same text you got(minus the billing part) for the past week. I get the exact message on my wife's iPhone that has a launch day iPhone 4 and is eligible for a upgrade at full subsidized pricing. Either way I figure I'll know for sure next week sometime. So, I'm tired of worrying about it either way I guess. I'll just go in this Saturday and put in some overtime just in case!
If you want it then it's worth it right haha.. I tell my wife that all the time
__________________
27" iMac, 3.1 GHz 4 GB RAM 1 Ter HD | Canon 5D Mark III 24-100L IS 70-200L 2.8 IS
cableguy619 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:13 PM   #57
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmms8 View Post
i might just sell my 4s and buy the phone unlocked from apple rather than commit two more years with att. after May i might joint boost mobile.
Same, but not the boost mobile part. I might switch to Verizon next year, and I'd rather do full price this year and have my contract end next year than half a discount and pay an etf in a year.
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:30 PM   #58
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanewilliams View Post
I hope you're correct. I've been getting the same text you got(minus the billing part) for the past week. I get the exact message on my wife's iPhone that has a launch day iPhone 4 and is eligible for a upgrade at full subsidized pricing. Either way I figure I'll know for sure next week sometime. So, I'm tired of worrying about it either way I guess. I'll just go in this Saturday and put in some overtime just in case!
My mother is eligible for the full upgrade (she has the 3GS) and gets the same text. Unfortunately, "an upgrade" doesn't tell you what kind of upgrade you're eligible for and hence doesn't mean anything. It's an ambiguous and dangerous statement.

So far, we have yet to hear from a launch day 4S owner who has convincingly shown they're eligible for the full upgrade come Sept 12th.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6

Last edited by JayLenochiniMac; Sep 5, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:45 PM   #59
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Unless it states otherwise, "an upgrade" is a full upgrade. Same price as a new customer +$36 upgrade fee.
__________________
Gecko Art | Facebook | flickr
Geckotek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:55 PM   #60
AnthonySmith
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern CA
I remember checking my eligibility about a month ago. I bought the 4S on launch day.

A month ago it stated "you are eligible for an early iPhone upgrade + 36 activation fee". Now it says I need to pay $250 on top of the phone and fee.

Should I call AT&T to get something sorted out? This will be my 4th iPhone with them, I would assume *hope* they could cut me some slack? Maybe not?
__________________
20" Aluminum iMac (2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD) iPhone 5 (32 GB, Black) iPad mini (16 GB, Black, WiFi) Apple TV (2010)
Twitter | FourSquare
AnthonySmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:02 PM   #61
djransom
macrumors 68040
 
djransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chi-Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySmith View Post
I remember checking my eligibility about a month ago. I bought the 4S on launch day.

A month ago it stated "you are eligible for an early iPhone upgrade + 36 activation fee". Now it says I need to pay $250 on top of the phone and fee.

Should I call AT&T to get something sorted out? This will be my 4th iPhone with them, I would assume *hope* they could cut me some slack? Maybe not?
Early upgrade = $250 fee. When you're eligible for upgrade the word "early" is not even used from my experience.
__________________
Live and love life
djransom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:33 PM   #62
GoreVidal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySmith View Post
Should I call AT&T to get something sorted out? This will be my 4th iPhone with them, I would assume *hope* they could cut me some slack? Maybe not?
This'll be my 6th, all launch day buys. If they're cutting any iPhone owner any slack, it's me. But they won't, so I just go on with my life.
GoreVidal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:39 PM   #63
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Unless it states otherwise, "an upgrade" is a full upgrade. Same price as a new customer +$36 upgrade fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djransom View Post
When you're eligible for upgrade the word "early" is not even used from my experience.
We haven't seen enough evidence to say that's true anymore.

In fact, let's settle this for the time being (as *639# is giving different information for different customers). Can someone who bought the 4S on launch day log onto at&t website and navigate to "I want to....Check upgrade options" Click on Upgrade Eligibility to view upgrade options. What does it say?
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:41 PM   #64
GoreVidal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
We haven't seen enough evidence to say that's true anymore.

In fact, let's settle this for the time being (as *639# is giving different information for different customers). Can someone who bought the 4S on launch day log onto at&t website and navigate to "I want to....Check upgrade options" Click on Upgrade Eligibility to view upgrade options. What does it say?
Website: "You are not eligible at this time for an upgrade at a discounted price. However, you can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 5/07/2013."

*639#: "You may select equipment at our full retail pricing. An upgrade may be available on 05/08/2013."

Buying mine unlocked from Apple on launch day.
GoreVidal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:42 PM   #65
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
We haven't seen enough evidence to say that's true anymore.

In fact, let's settle this for the time being (as *639# is giving different information for different customers). Can someone who bought the 4S on launch day log onto at&t website and navigate to "I want to....Check upgrade options" Click on Upgrade Eligibility to view upgrade options. What does it say?
How can you say that. We have years of experience. Hell, I helped put together the Upgrade Guide.

Yes, the text differs, but we know the differences already.
__________________
Gecko Art | Facebook | flickr
Geckotek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:43 PM   #66
djransom
macrumors 68040
 
djransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chi-Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
We haven't seen enough evidence to say that's true anymore.

In fact, let's settle this for the time being (as *639# is giving different information for different customers). Can someone who bought the 4S on launch day log onto at&t website and navigate to "I want to....Check upgrade options" Click on Upgrade Eligibility to view upgrade options. What does it say?
Keep hope alive...
__________________
Live and love life
djransom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:44 PM   #67
AnthonySmith
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
We haven't seen enough evidence to say that's true anymore.

In fact, let's settle this for the time being (as *639# is giving different information for different customers). Can someone who bought the 4S on launch day log onto at&t website and navigate to "I want to....Check upgrade options" Click on Upgrade Eligibility to view upgrade options. What does it say?
"Great news! You qualify for an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment.
Full upgrade available: May 07, 2013"

But when I call *639# it says I have to pay the $250 fee.
__________________
20" Aluminum iMac (2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD) iPhone 5 (32 GB, Black) iPad mini (16 GB, Black, WiFi) Apple TV (2010)
Twitter | FourSquare
AnthonySmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:49 PM   #68
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreVidal View Post
"You are not eligible at this time for an upgrade at a discounted price. However, you can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 5/07/2013."

Buying mine unlocked from Apple on launch day.
Thanks. Now does anyone who bought the 4S (with subsidy) less than 12 months ago get a different message than shown above?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySmith View Post
"Great news! You qualify for an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment.
Full upgrade available: May 07, 2013"

But when I call *639# it says I have to pay the $250 fee.
Again, "early iPhone upgrade" is $250 on top of the $199/299/399 price. We've settled that.

What I would like to see is more along the line of "You're eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price" or something to that effect.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:52 PM   #69
GoreVidal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Thanks. Now does anyone who bought the 4S (not with subsidy) less than 12 months ago get a different message than shown above?
Everyone bought their 4S less than 12 months ago.
GoreVidal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:55 PM   #70
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreVidal View Post
Everyone bought their 4S less than 12 months ago.
I meant with subsidy (not at full contract-free price).
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:57 PM   #71
bri1212
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkit201 View Post
Hi folks,

I hardly post here, but it's usually around htis time is when I post. I dialed *637# (new) to see if I am eligible for an early upgrade. As of today it states ..
When I dial *637# on my iphone 4s, I get a spinning wheel and then nothing? Do you usually get a response immediately?
bri1212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:01 PM   #72
AnthonySmith
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1212 View Post
when i dial *637# on my iphone 4s, i get a spinning wheel and then nothing? Do you usually get a response immediately?
*639#
__________________
20" Aluminum iMac (2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD) iPhone 5 (32 GB, Black) iPad mini (16 GB, Black, WiFi) Apple TV (2010)
Twitter | FourSquare
AnthonySmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:07 PM   #73
djransom
macrumors 68040
 
djransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chi-Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
I meant with subsidy (not at full contract-free price).
Now I understand what you're looking. Let me know, which I seriously doubt, when you find it. Upgrades are now 18 months and the last yearly subsidy was for the 4S and most who jumped on it now have to wait.
__________________
Live and love life
djransom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:33 PM   #74
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by djransom View Post
Now I understand what you're looking. Let me know, which I seriously doubt, when you find it. Upgrades are now 18 months and the last yearly subsidy was for the 4S and most who jumped on it now have to wait.
Yep. Is there any subsidized 4S owner with "You're eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price" on at&t website?
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:41 PM   #75
GoreVidal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by djransom View Post
Now I understand what you're looking. Let me know, which I seriously doubt, when you find it. Upgrades are now 18 months and the last yearly subsidy was for the 4S and most who jumped on it now have to wait.
Nah we don't, we just pay $450 more than those who get the new upgrade price. Since I'm selling my 64GB 4S for nearly $600, it doesn't bother me.

Go Bulls.
GoreVidal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5S AT&T Upgrade Eligibility seans9 iPhone 95 Sep 20, 2013 02:30 PM
Carrier: Does AT&T Contract effect Upgrade Eligibility? BigB82 iPhone 0 Sep 16, 2013 05:54 PM
AT&T Upgrade Eligibility Reversal/Reset SteefJop iPhone 5 Nov 9, 2012 03:41 AM
Return to Apple.com and AT&T Upgrade Eligibility Reversal ziffies iPhone 0 Nov 2, 2012 05:59 AM
AT&T Early Eligibility Reset spencecb iPhone 1 Sep 13, 2012 05:21 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC