Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:03 PM   #51
seans9
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
We've gone over this before. "Early iPhone upgrade" is $250 on top of the $199/299/399 subsidized price.
Just called ATT and they confirmed what I thought. If the account is not past due, I can buy a new iPhone for the subsidized price + $36 upgrade fee.

That should be clear from the text. In the first one they mention the $250 + $36. In the second it just says $36.
seans9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:07 PM   #52
GoreVidal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerplexShyt View Post
i've been eligible for an upgrade since the iphone 4s came out. But I got my 4s for free because the at&t store forgot to charge me.

They even did a "sale audit" of some sort. They called me back and said, hey, when you came in for your iphone, did you pay for it?" I said, yes i did!

When in all actuality, I walked out of that store without paying. The guy was new, so I think he just set up the phone and forgot to charge me for it. hahaha
Keep it classy PerplexShyt
GoreVidal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:27 PM   #53
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans9 View Post
Just called ATT and they confirmed what I thought. If the account is not past due, I can buy a new iPhone for the subsidized price + $36 upgrade fee.

That should be clear from the text. In the first one they mention the $250 + $36. In the second it just says $36.
You sure the rep gave you the correct information? Everyone else who got that text and looked further into it eventually find out about the $250.
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:32 PM   #54
cableguy619
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You sure the rep gave you the correct information? Everyone else who got that text and looked further into it eventually find out about the $250.
My buddy is a higher up manager at AT&T. Just asked him and he stated " that no the contract terms have not been modified for the new release, if we do so then a contract will have to be at least half completed."

This is my personal friend and has no reason to say different. In Sean's case I don't think they gave him the correct info.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:37 PM   #55
Shanewilliams
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans9 View Post

I hope you're correct. I've been getting the same text you got(minus the billing part) for the past week. I get the exact message on my wife's iPhone that has a launch day iPhone 4 and is eligible for a upgrade at full subsidized pricing. Either way I figure I'll know for sure next week sometime. So, I'm tired of worrying about it either way I guess. I'll just go in this Saturday and put in some overtime just in case!
Shanewilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:43 PM   #56
cableguy619
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanewilliams View Post
I hope you're correct. I've been getting the same text you got(minus the billing part) for the past week. I get the exact message on my wife's iPhone that has a launch day iPhone 4 and is eligible for a upgrade at full subsidized pricing. Either way I figure I'll know for sure next week sometime. So, I'm tired of worrying about it either way I guess. I'll just go in this Saturday and put in some overtime just in case!
If you want it then it's worth it right haha.. I tell my wife that all the time
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:13 PM   #57
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmms8 View Post
i might just sell my 4s and buy the phone unlocked from apple rather than commit two more years with att. after May i might joint boost mobile.
Same, but not the boost mobile part. I might switch to Verizon next year, and I'd rather do full price this year and have my contract end next year than half a discount and pay an etf in a year.
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:30 PM   #58
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanewilliams View Post
My mother is eligible for the full upgrade (she has the 3GS) and gets the same text. Unfortunately, "an upgrade" doesn't tell you what kind of upgrade you're eligible for and hence doesn't mean anything. It's an ambiguous and dangerous statement.

So far, we have yet to hear from a launch day 4S owner who has convincingly shown they're eligible for the full upgrade come Sept 12th.

Last edited by JayLenochiniMac; Sep 5, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:45 PM   #59
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Unless it states otherwise, "an upgrade" is a full upgrade. Same price as a new customer +$36 upgrade fee.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:55 PM   #60
AnthonySmith
macrumors 6502

I remember checking my eligibility about a month ago. I bought the 4S on launch day.

A month ago it stated "you are eligible for an early iPhone upgrade + 36 activation fee". Now it says I need to pay $250 on top of the phone and fee.

Should I call AT&T to get something sorted out? This will be my 4th iPhone with them, I would assume *hope* they could cut me some slack? Maybe not?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:02 PM   #61
djransom
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySmith View Post
I remember checking my eligibility about a month ago. I bought the 4S on launch day.

A month ago it stated "you are eligible for an early iPhone upgrade + 36 activation fee". Now it says I need to pay $250 on top of the phone and fee.

Should I call AT&T to get something sorted out? This will be my 4th iPhone with them, I would assume *hope* they could cut me some slack? Maybe not?
Early upgrade = $250 fee. When you're eligible for upgrade the word "early" is not even used from my experience.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:33 PM   #62
GoreVidal
Banned

Quote:
This'll be my 6th, all launch day buys. If they're cutting any iPhone owner any slack, it's me. But they won't, so I just go on with my life.
GoreVidal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:39 PM   #63
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Unless it states otherwise, "an upgrade" is a full upgrade. Same price as a new customer +$36 upgrade fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djransom View Post
When you're eligible for upgrade the word "early" is not even used from my experience.
We haven't seen enough evidence to say that's true anymore.

In fact, let's settle this for the time being (as *639# is giving different information for different customers). Can someone who bought the 4S on launch day log onto at&t website and navigate to "I want to....Check upgrade options" Click on Upgrade Eligibility to view upgrade options. What does it say?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:41 PM   #64
GoreVidal
Banned

Quote:

In fact, let's settle this for the time being (as *639# is giving different information for different customers). Can someone who bought the 4S on launch day log onto at&t website and navigate to "I want to....Check upgrade options" Click on Upgrade Eligibility to view upgrade options. What does it say?
Website: "You are not eligible at this time for an upgrade at a discounted price. However, you can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 5/07/2013."

*639#: "You may select equipment at our full retail pricing. An upgrade may be available on 05/08/2013."

Buying mine unlocked from Apple on launch day.
GoreVidal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:42 PM   #65
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:

How can you say that. We have years of experience. Hell, I helped put together the Upgrade Guide.

Yes, the text differs, but we know the differences already.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:43 PM   #66
djransom
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Keep hope alive...
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:44 PM   #67
AnthonySmith
macrumors 6502

Quote:

"Great news! You qualify for an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment.
Full upgrade available: May 07, 2013"

But when I call *639# it says I have to pay the $250 fee.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:49 PM   #68
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreVidal View Post
"You are not eligible at this time for an upgrade at a discounted price. However, you can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 5/07/2013."

Buying mine unlocked from Apple on launch day.
Thanks. Now does anyone who bought the 4S (with subsidy) less than 12 months ago get a different message than shown above?

----------

Quote:
"Great news! You qualify for an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment.
Full upgrade available: May 07, 2013"

But when I call *639# it says I have to pay the $250 fee.
Again, "early iPhone upgrade" is $250 on top of the $199/299/399 price. We've settled that.

What I would like to see is more along the line of "You're eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price" or something to that effect.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:52 PM   #69
GoreVidal
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. Now does anyone who bought the 4S (not with subsidy) less than 12 months ago get a different message than shown above?
Everyone bought their 4S less than 12 months ago.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:55 PM   #70
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreVidal View Post
Everyone bought their 4S less than 12 months ago.
I meant with subsidy (not at full contract-free price).
Old Sep 5, 2012, 02:57 PM   #71
bri1212
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkit201 View Post
Hi folks,

I hardly post here, but it's usually around htis time is when I post. I dialed *637# (new) to see if I am eligible for an early upgrade. As of today it states ..
When I dial *637# on my iphone 4s, I get a spinning wheel and then nothing? Do you usually get a response immediately?
bri1212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:01 PM   #72
AnthonySmith
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1212 View Post
when i dial *637# on my iphone 4s, i get a spinning wheel and then nothing? Do you usually get a response immediately?
*639#
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:07 PM   #73
djransom
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I meant with subsidy (not at full contract-free price).
Now I understand what you're looking. Let me know, which I seriously doubt, when you find it. Upgrades are now 18 months and the last yearly subsidy was for the 4S and most who jumped on it now have to wait.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:33 PM   #74
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Now I understand what you're looking. Let me know, which I seriously doubt, when you find it. Upgrades are now 18 months and the last yearly subsidy was for the 4S and most who jumped on it now have to wait.
Yep. Is there any subsidized 4S owner with "You're eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price" on at&t website?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:41 PM   #75
GoreVidal
Banned

Quote:
Nah we don't, we just pay $450 more than those who get the new upgrade price. Since I'm selling my 64GB 4S for nearly $600, it doesn't bother me.

Go Bulls.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone