Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 8, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1
srf4real
macrumors 68030

OS 10.8 all the little things that "just don't work"

Energy Saver settings are ignored by OS 10.8 Same as in Lion, which is why I upgraded in the first place, hoping Apple had figured out how to let me decide when my computer should sleep.

Screen Saver settings, same thing. OS 10.8 could care less what my "custom text" is or the fact that I have stated that it should "never" activate.

I have a few computer noobie folks in my house who are scared to wake my 2011 mac mini while I'm gone, and all I ask is that the display not sleep and the screen saver stay off so that my networked security cameras can be viewed without having to wake it up every hour or two. Why, oh why has Apple programming changed for the worse? This was a no-brainer for them in Leopard, and Snow Leopard. All of the sudden it's impossible? PLEASE HELP ME
Old Aug 8, 2012, 05:52 PM   #2
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1413008
\-V-/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:14 PM   #3
srf4real
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by \-V-/ View Post
Yeah, but my thread title is cooler.

Fwiw, I downloaded caffeine to see if it helps. Mayby Apple should have paid this developer to work on OS X, lol. pathetic
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:24 PM   #4
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by srf4real View Post
Yeah, but my thread title is cooler.

Fwiw, I downloaded caffeine to see if it helps. Mayby Apple should have paid this developer to work on OS X, lol. pathetic
Caffeine is great... and so is NoSleep.
\-V-/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Lion and Mountain Lion both respect my Energy Saving and Screensaver settings on the 3 machines I'm running. Tried a clean install?
Senseotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 08:00 PM   #6
srf4real
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
Lion and Mountain Lion both respect my Energy Saving and Screensaver settings on the 3 machines I'm running. Tried a clean install?
Yes. My mini server came pre-installed with Lion and it never has worked. I did a clean install with ML and it still wont. Maybe it's just my mini. But caffeine seems to be doing ok. It still peeves me though. I don't think we'll ever have it as good again as with Snow Leopard, now that was a fine tuned OS!!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 08:07 PM   #7
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
Same here on two machines. I can't seem to change F4 from Launch Pad to Dashboard though. It's set right but doesn't honour the setting.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 09:39 PM   #8
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

iTunes when minimized seemed to jump to the center of the screen for me. It doesn't stay in the corner where I placed it. Annoying.
kappaknight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:50 AM   #9
srf4real
macrumors 68030

Well, Caffeine fixed my sleep problem for all of four days - then the ravnous beast of an OS that is Mountain Cub managed to break those settings too. Back to sleeping at will after an hour and running a screen saver I have set to "off".

FTS!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion