Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drmountaindeww

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I am aware that Discover offers a 5% cashback bonus on purchases made on Apple. It is my understanding that when you log in to your account online, it gives you a special link to Apple. But anyway, is it possible to get that 5% cashback in an Apple retail store? Thanks.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The fine print reads that you need to use the ShopDiscover link. I did, I was notified of my extra cashback bonus once the charge hit my card. The money isn't reflected in the cashback bonus total online until the statement closes (mine just did, haven't checked for the bonus money).

FYI, Discover also doubles the Apple warranty, giving you a 2 year instead of 1 year warranty with the second year being through Discover.

I like inlinevolvo's idea, buy online using the ShopDiscover link and request in-store pickup.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
I tried doing this when I ordered my MacBook Pro Retina 2 days ago through the Discover Link.

Not sure if it worked though cause once I was directed to the link via Discover I had to go into the education store link. Not sure if the Cashback Followed from me from their link to the education link.

Also, part of my purchase was paid via an Apple Gift Card and the balance via Discover.

I haven't received the notification yet from Discover because only SuperDrive has shipped and they are deducting the Apple Gift Card first.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I tried doing this when I ordered my MacBook Pro Retina 2 days ago through the Discover Link.

Not sure if it worked though cause once I was directed to the link via Discover I had to go into the education store link. Not sure if the Cashback Followed from me from their link to the education link.

Also, part of my purchase was paid via an Apple Gift Card and the balance via Discover.

I haven't received the notification yet from Discover because only SuperDrive has shipped and they are deducting the Apple Gift Card first.

I used the education discount + Discover discount and it worked. I got an email from Discover saying I earned new Cashback 3 days after it shipped. I don't know how long it'll take to reflect onto my balance, but I got the email.

Not sure about the Apple Gift Card, considering that means part of it wasn't paid for with your card, but if you don't get an email within a week at most after yours has shipped, you probably didn't get the Cashback.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
I used the education discount + Discover discount and it worked. I got an email from Discover saying I earned new Cashback 3 days after it shipped. I don't know how long it'll take to reflect onto my balance, but I got the email.

Not sure about the Apple Gift Card, considering that means part of it wasn't paid for with your card, but if you don't get an email within a week at most after yours has shipped, you probably didn't get the Cashback.

Did you do this online or in the store? Were you directed From the Discover site to the regular store site then did you choose the Education Store at the bottom of the page?

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Did you do this online or in the store? Were you directed From the Discover site to the regular store site then did you choose the Education Store at the bottom of the page?

Yes, I did it exactly like that online.

I don't think it would work in store. Maybe if you called Discover beforehand and asked, then called again after buying it to confirm the Cashback, they would, but who knows.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Yes, I did it exactly like that online.

I don't think it would work in store. Maybe if you called Discover beforehand and asked, then called again after buying it to confirm the Cashback, they would, but who knows.

Thank you! I was only confirming if you had done the online vs on store because I did exactly you just wrote above.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

You won't see the balance change reflected until your next statement close, as I noted in my previous response.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012

You should see your cashback, just less what you put on the gift card. My only concern for you here is if you still qualify for the warranty extensions as part of your cc agreement. This is because typically the cc company requires that you make the entire purchase on the card to be eligible for the warranty extension. May be a good idea to call discover and check.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
When I booked my hotel few months ago, I used shopdiscover.com and got 20% cashback and it reflected instantly on my online account. Their online store is one of my favorite things about Discover. :)

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
You should see your cashback, just less what you put on the gift card. My only concern for you here is if you still qualify for the warranty extensions as part of your cc agreement. This is because typically the cc company requires that you make the entire purchase on the card to be eligible for the warranty extension. May be a good idea to call discover and check.

Thank you for the heads up. However, I purchased AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.