Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
wow.

Device: 5/5
There have only ever been 3 tablets that have ever been appealing. The iPad, The Asus Transformer Pad, and now the Nexus 7.

I was dubious about a 7 inch tablet but my hunger and urge to buy a 7 inch tablet got the best of me. I've only ever seen 7 inch tablets but I have used the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.0 whatever and the Droid Xyboard 8 inch model and they were comfortable, so I assumed the Nexus 7 to be similar. I'm now surprised at how little of 7 inch tablets there are and why Apple has been so reluctant to make one. The 7 inch screen size is super comfortable for media and games. I'd say I was the one who would believe that games would look better and play better on a 10-inch but wow, after playing Dead Trigger and Asphalt 7: Heat, I would say that games are more fun on a 7 inch, especially games that make use motion (Temple Run on a 10 inch is hell, but on a 7 inch it's great!) As far as video, I watched some YouTube videos and WOW the screen quality rivals the quality of the retina iPad (While it's not on par with the iPad's resolution, it is still very very good, and the Nexus 7 would be worthy of the "retina" term. HD video was stellar and beautiful. The build quality of the tablet was also wonderful too. I will admit I caught myself several times looking for a hold switch and a physical home button. Coming from the iOS universe that's expected, but I still do feel that buttons are still essential. I do like the sleep/wake button on the side, however coming from the iPhone I found myself always feeling the left side for the volume buttons. The device is comfortable and doesn't start to feel heavy until quite after a while, even in only one hand. As far as camera quality goes, i'm not impressed, and I would have enjoyed a rear facing camera. The speaker was okay, but wasn't working wonders for me. One thing that is interesting (and always happens to me with EVERYTHING I get) is that it seems buggy, like I got a developer model or something, because sometimes things just glitch (when I played Dead Trigger for the first time it locked up and played a long buzzing tone, and sometimes the OS does feel laggy, especially when browsing Tumblr on Chrome) but almost every tech device I get always has some problem, and it's probably due to Jelly Bean so new, but I'm not letting it give me a bad impression on Android because I truly do enjoy this device

Interface: 5/5
WOW! Android has REALLY changed. Last time I really sat down with an Android device and got to spend time playing with it was when I was holding on to my cousin's Galaxy S i9000 and my how Android has changed. One thing I will say though is that this stock android is what is appealing. While HTC does have a really beautiful interface, stock Android is what it's all really about. The features and interface of Jelly Bean are really convincing enough for me to trade my iPhone for a Galaxy Nexus (of course I wouldn't though). The OS is just so pretty and I really do enjoy the customizable home screens. One thing about Android is that it really feels more like a tablet's OS than a Phone's. I never saw the use of widgets beyond a basic clock or weather widget but on a tablet it's something I couldn't live without. While there are not many tablet optimized apps and Android doesn't handle those non-optimized apps as well as the iPad does, it's still really nice, and did I mention how pretty stock Android is?

Apps: 3.5/5
Here's where I feel the Nexus and Android as a whole starts to fail. While the Google built apps are AMAZING (Maps is beautiful! Gmail is amazing and I love Chrome!), many apps that I were hoping would be a good experience on a tablet (Twitter, Facebook & Facebook Messenger) were just overly stretched versions of the phone app, which was a big disappointment. I'd HATE to see what they look like on a 10 inch stretched out like that. Some apps like Pandora still looked good stretched but the open space made me want more out of them. Games looked AMAZING with the Tegra 3 and were a blast on the 7-inch screen. Of course the tablet optimized apps like Spotify and Flipboard also looked beautiful. One irk was the magazine mode. I was honestly hoping for a more Newsstand experience rather than just a PDF viewer experience, so that was somewhat of a letdown.

Overall: 13.5/15 A
This tablet is an amazing device. The Nexus line and Android as a platform is becoming more and more appealing.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I find your last bit about the apps like twitter getting stretched out interesting, because with Cyanogen Mod 9 (basically vanilla Android) on the Touchpad, they don't appear that way? I just bought a Nexus 7 (gets here on Friday), so this makes me curious. Thanks for the review. I haven't played with Jelly Bean OS yet, but if you were impressed (especially as a self proclaimed Apple fanboy) then it must pretty darn good. I know others have said the same thing on here, but this reaffirms it for me. :p can't wait for my S3 to get it in about 5 years, when AT&T decides to release it. :D

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I find your last bit about the apps like twitter getting stretched out interesting, because with Cyanogen Mod 9 (basically vanilla Android) on the Touchpad, they don't appear that way? I just bought a Nexus 7 (gets here on Friday), so this makes me curious. Thanks for the review. I haven't played with Jelly Bean OS yet, but if you were impressed (especially as a self proclaimed Apple fanboy) then it must pretty darn good. I know others have said the same thing on here, but this reaffirms it for me. :p can't wait for my S3 to get it in about 5 years, when AT&T decides to release it. :D

Attached is what I mean by stretched. It just looks like the phone app but a lot bigger. Facebook and Messenger are the biggest culprits of this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-09-00-44-36.png
    Screenshot_2012-08-09-00-44-36.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 238

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Attached is what I mean by stretched. It just looks like the phone app but a lot bigger. Facebook and Messenger are the biggest culprits of this.

Actually, i don't see anything wrong with that. Looks normal, with no pixelization (like what you get on the ipad when you try to use an iphone only app and click the x2 button.)

That just looks like normal twitter to me. But i use Tweetcaster, so not too concerned with how twitter looks. You did say games like dead trigger looked good though, right? And which browser are you using? I think you said Chrome? Can you do me a favor and load up Maxthon Browser and tell me how that looks? It should look exactly like a pc web browser with actual tabs at the top that stay put, forward and back buttons, refresh, favorites and a home button too. This is the only web browser i have found on Android that is similar to Atomic on ios.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Depends what you use it for I guess. I didn't like my Nexus 7 at all and after 14 days returned it to Best Buy. The staff at our local Best Buy say they're getting many returned.

For gaming and media it might be okay, but I prefer my iPad and the larger screen size.

For everything else, reading pdf's, email, google doc's, evernote, calender, surfing I want a 10" screen.

I put my iPad away for the first week and used the Nexus day and night everyday as I use my iPad. I'm familiar with the OS as I have an Android phone but man did I detest the 7" Nexus.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Actually, i don't see anything wrong with that. Looks normal, with no pixelization (like what you get on the ipad when you try to use an iphone only app and click the x2 button.)

That just looks like normal twitter to me. But i use Tweetcaster, so not too concerned with how twitter looks. You did say games like dead trigger looked good though, right? And which browser are you using? I think you said Chrome? Can you do me a favor and load up Maxthon Browser and tell me how that looks? It should look exactly like a pc web browser with actual tabs at the top that stay put, forward and back buttons, refresh, favorites and a home button too. This is the only web browser i have found on Android that is similar to Atomic on ios.

Maxthon vs. Chrome
Tumblr scrolling and overall performance feels better in Maxthon, but it didn't like loading MR at all (and looks ugly)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-09-01-33-48.png
    Screenshot_2012-08-09-01-33-48.png
    378.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_2012-08-09-01-36-43.png
    Screenshot_2012-08-09-01-36-43.png
    342 KB · Views: 168

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
The staff at our local Best Buy say they're getting many returned.

How much are the refurbs/returns going for at that BestBuy? Would be interesting to see how much cheaper open box or refurbished N7's will sell for.

At least you got to register and keep the $25 Google Play credit.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
I want a nexus because it looks like an amaZmg device but since I have an iPad already I find it unnecessary

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Returned my nexus yesterday. The flexible and flickering screen was unbearable.

Too bad, because aside from that I really enjoyed the tablet. I think the size and weight of it is awesome. Can't wait for the iPad mini, picking that up for sure.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I had a quick play with a Nexus 7 today at PC World in Middlesbrough. Must admit that I was very impressed, it was silky smooth and felt really well made, the only thing that stopped me buying one there and then was the fact that the rumoured iPad mini would be announced in September. I would like a look and see how it is priced compared to the Nexus at £199 for the 16gb flavour, which, IMHO is a real bargain.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Well, got mine yesterday and sold my ipad2. I have no regrets at all. I really love this thing.

By the way, Chrome is awesome on the Nex7. This is definitely my go to browser now, with Maxthon as my backup.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
many apps that I were hoping would be a good experience on a tablet (Twitter, Facebook & Facebook Messenger) were just overly stretched versions of the phone app

For twitter:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handmark.tweetcaster&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chriswstewart.twitter

For facebook either just go to the site in a browser or try:
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...tter-ways-to-use-facebook-on-android-tablets/

----------

but man did I detest the 7" Nexus.

Why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.