Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:17 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

New copy-protected CDs are Apple iPod incompatible

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: New copy-protected CDs are Apple iPod incompatible

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:19 PM   #2
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

hmmmm no problems ripping my Foo Fighers disc in iTunes, or copying it for that matter either.....
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Bobcat37
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Bobcat37
I was pretty sure that this is very old news.

BTW, I think it only affects Windows users, so assuming you have a Mac, that's why you had no problems.
Bobcat37 is offline   0
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:39 PM   #4
sord
macrumors 6502

This is old news, and yes it only doesn't work on Windows machines however Sony has some sort of program to allow angry iPod users on Windows to get their songs (not sure how to find it though)
sord is offline   0
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:50 PM   #5
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat37
I was pretty sure that this is very old news.

BTW, I think it only affects Windows users, so assuming you have a Mac, that's why you had no problems.
True , and I think I might have posted one of the original articles too. How ever since it cropped up again I decided to post it again.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:53 PM   #6
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
"It's up to Apple to flip the switch," said one record label executive.

Actually it is not. If the executive wants to increase his available customer base, his company would make it compatible with the iPod. End of story.
macnulty is offline   0
Old Aug 4, 2005, 09:59 PM   #7
J-Squire
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnulty
"It's up to Apple to flip the switch," said one record label executive.

Actually it is not. If the executive wants to increase his available customer base, his company would make it compatible with the iPod. End of story.
Exactly. Also, what incentive does Apple have to make these CDs compatable with iPods? That just means less people buy through the iTunes music store. I think apple would rather push it's own format through iTunes
J-Squire is offline   0
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:05 PM   #8
bpd115
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bpd115
No problem ripping "Stand Up" on my Mac either.

The protection on these CDs use a method where if auto run is turned on in Windows, it installs some crappy software designed to garble any import attempt.

Solution? Hold down your shift key while inserting or disable auto run.

I think this tactic is very invasive and borders on spyware. What gives them the right to install software on my PC?

Of course, these types of situations are why I switched to the Mac in the first place.
bpd115 is offline   0
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:16 PM   #9
iMThomas
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to iMThomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd115
No problem ripping "Stand Up" on my Mac either.

The protection on these CDs use a method where if auto run is turned on in Windows, it installs some crappy software designed to garble any import attempt.

Solution? Hold down your shift key while inserting or disable auto run.

I think this tactic is very invasive and borders on spyware. What gives them the right to install software on my PC?

Of course, these types of situations are why I switched to the Mac in the first place.
My thought is exactly in line with yours. These record execs need to get their stuff in order and stop trying to blame the whole situation on Apple being closed with Fairplay. If they opened fairplay, then that would potentially help people pirate the music bought on iTunes. I'm sure the record companies would love licensing the music out to Apple if the DRM has more cracks in it than an old brick street ;-) /end sarcasm/.

I'm a little biased because I can't stand working on Windows based systems for more than my alloted time at work where I repair them all day; so I wouldn't be shocked if Microsoft was working some shady deals with Sony so that the copy protection would be circumvented ONLY in Windows Media Player for Windows. They have done shady things before. What is to stop them again?

That's just my take though...
iMThomas is offline   0
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:40 PM   #10
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis
hmmmm no problems ripping my Foo Fighers disc in iTunes, or copying it for that matter either.....
Same here, but it wouldn't rip in iTunes for Windows. Weird.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:13 PM   #11
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBrightwell
Same here, but it wouldn't rip in iTunes for Windows. Weird.

It was said earlier. The autorun.inf file on the CD executes a background process that blinds the computer to the CD's audio portion. Since Macs have no Autorun, no a problem. Autorun should ALWAYS be disabled in windows, it's just a pain in the ass, and often causes strange behavior.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:52 AM   #12
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
lossy formats FOR CDS should be made illegal.. especially ones sold in stores, I'm not going to pay $20 some canadian for a freaking lossy cd that's in WMA format
Old Aug 5, 2005, 02:16 AM   #13
Loge
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sord
This is old news, and yes it only doesn't work on Windows machines however Sony has some sort of program to allow angry iPod users on Windows to get their songs (not sure how to find it though)
The article goes on to describe Sony's solution thus (not exactly hi tech) -

"Sony BMG, a joint venture between Japan's Sony Corp. and Germany's Bertelsmann, said users can get the music onto iPods by transferring files to a PC, burning them to a CD, ripping those and transferring them into iTunes. "
Loge is offline   0
Old Aug 5, 2005, 02:37 AM   #14
Bad Beaver
macrumors regular

I assume they want to force Apple to open up Fairplay so we end up with *their* DRM on *all* our music, not just that bought from the iTMS, likely shoved down our throats in some shoddy lossy ms format. I say shove those discs back up where they came from. They'd deserve no better for yet another pointless attempt to control and strangulate honest consumers & music trading teens, as if any serious pirate cared about this.
Bad Beaver is offline   0
Old Aug 5, 2005, 03:45 AM   #15
Mitthrawnuruodo

Have no idea why Foo Fighters want to use that protective CD ******, the last one also used that.

Of course I don't really care... iTunes on my Mac is more than happy to import it...

Just another reason to use Macs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	27419  
Old Aug 5, 2005, 03:57 AM   #16
pulsewidth947
macrumors 65816

I think copy-protected CDs are bad for the genuine music-buying public. But like you guys say, the protection only works on PC. The thing is though, to circumvent the copy-protection, I used to download the album from P2P so I could listen to it on my iPod. So P2P does has its advantages - to enable legitimate customers to make the most of music they own.

To be honest though I dont like the whole P2P debate, but I think as a "try before you buy" medium it works wonderfully. Of course there will be people that exploit that, but those are the same people that copied albums onto tape (hah remember cassettes?! getting a 5-pack of C90's used to rule) years ago. Its about time more companies put forward listening options like Bleep.com - you can listen to the full song, but only 30 seconds at a time. So listen to 30 secs, skip forward listen to another 30, etc.

Incidentally, the only MP3's I've ever bought have been from Bleep.com, as the price is fair, they stock a range of out of print stuff, and theres no DRM dictating how I may listen to the music I've bought!
Old Aug 5, 2005, 04:42 AM   #17
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Maybe the record companies could just give us cheaper CDs so that we wouldn't be so inclined to pirate them.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 06:13 AM   #18
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767
It was said earlier. The autorun.inf file on the CD executes a background process that blinds the computer to the CD's audio portion. Since Macs have no Autorun, no a problem. Autorun should ALWAYS be disabled in windows, it's just a pain in the ass, and often causes strange behavior.
I'm well aware of how autorun works. I even have it disabled.

I still couldn't rip that CD through iTunes for Windows. I had trouble with GnR's Greatest Hits CD, too.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 07:59 AM   #19
Chef Medeski
macrumors 6502a

I don't see what the music exacs worry about. It is better for them that the people are actually buying the CDs instead of just downloading music. I think this just turns people off from purchasing Sony. I know that is what I do. I buy a CD almost every week, and I never download. Yet, if I couldn't rip it easily, then I definetly would stop buying from that record.
Chef Medeski is offline   0
Old Aug 5, 2005, 08:50 AM   #20
Stella
macrumors 603

Apple should license out fairplay, even if its just to avoid this sort of thing ( NOT a license for other mp3 players ).

Apple refusal to license fairplay will return to the haunt them in the future. Apple should be proactive. WMA could be potentially killed if this happened.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 09:05 AM   #21
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsewidth947
I think copy-protected CDs are bad for the genuine music-buying public. But like you guys say, the protection only works on PC. The thing is though, to circumvent the copy-protection, I used to download the album from P2P so I could listen to it on my iPod. So P2P does has its advantages - to enable legitimate customers to make the most of music they own.
Well, doesn't iTunes' preview render that argument a little less pertinent? If I want to preview the song (and album) in its entirety prior to purchasing, I'll ask around and see if anyone I know has it, and borrow the disc... or I'll mosey on over to one of the music stores that are tied to Barnes & Nobles because they have that cool system where you scan the barcode of the cd, don the headphones, and you can literally listen to every single track in its entirety! I love that. I could spend hours in that store. Just don't buy from that store because the prices are astronomical!
Old Aug 5, 2005, 09:34 AM   #22
Mac_Jack
macrumors newbie

Numbers speak for themselves

--EMI Group Plc spokeswoman Jeanne Meyer cited success with earlier such efforts overseas. "Out of 127 million copy protected CDs we've shipped into the market outside of the U.S. and U.K., we've had 0.02 percent inquiries of any kind," she said.--

Um, .02 percent of 127 million is 2,540,000. That's pretty dang un-small.

Mac_Jack
Mac_Jack is offline   0
Old Aug 5, 2005, 09:51 AM   #23
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Jack
Um, .02 percent of 127 million is 2,540,000. That's pretty dang un-small.
No, that's 2%... 0.02% is 25 400...
Old Aug 5, 2005, 09:56 AM   #24
Bad Beaver
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
No, that's 2%... 0.02% is 25 400...
Doesn't matter, it is 25400 people not buying your product again, telling many many of their friends about what a crappy product you have. It's such arrogant number festishism that makes MI people so nice to be around.
Bad Beaver is offline   0
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:37 AM   #25
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Of course, Philips has promised to stop such discs from being called CDs at all since they don't conform to the red book specifications. Still, have they done anything but a mild protest?
bousozoku is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion