Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following up on a fresh leak of claimed next-generation iPhone parts, Nowhereelse.fr now shares [Google translation] new photos from the same source that provide an interesting comparison between several of the new components and their predecessors found in the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.

iphone_4_4s_5_component_comparison_1.jpg

As shown in the top row, Apple appears to be returning to the rotational electric motor design for the vibrator that was used in the GSM iPhone 4 and earlier devices. In the CDMA iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S, Apple has been using a larger drum-shaped linear oscillating vibrator that gives a softer feel and sound.

Apple's flex cable designs have also continued to evolve through the generations, with the company tending to group components on cables by function and physical proximity. With the move of the headphone jack to the bottom of the device and tweaks to the camera and sensor arrangements, it appears that Apple has in some respects been able to simplify its cable designs.

iphone_4_4s_5_component_comparison_2.jpg

The second row of parts shows how Apple has modified the design of the volume control cable over time. While the part previously included the volume control button/mute switch assembly and the headphone jack, with the headphone jack having moved to the bottom of the device the cable now stretches across the device to also contain the power switch, consolidating all of the exterior button and switch functionalities on a single cable.

In previous iPhones, the power switch was included on the sensor cable, which also contained both the proximity sensor and the ambient light sensor, as shown in the third row of parts. But with the power switch now having been moved over to the volume control cable, the sensor cable has been simplified.

Not shown in these photos is the headphone jack and dock connector part. That part was one of the first to leak back in May, but the dock connector was initially misidentified as the earpiece before it was discovered that the headphone jack would actually be located on the bottom of the next-generation iPhone.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Components Compared to Previous Models

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Still waiting for the parts from the REAL next-gen iPhone to leak. Tired of the countless fakes we've been getting for months. Fake casings, screens and cables........

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Looking at these pictures, my Chinese vocabulary has already doubled today!

drmikey

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
I actually like the way the 4S vibrates compared to earlier versions. It's not as obnoxious when sitting on a table and it vibrates.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I actually like the way the 4S vibrates compared to earlier versions. It's not as obnoxious when sitting on a table and it vibrates.

It definitely has a more pleasing sound on a table than the earlier iPhones, but I leave my iPhone on vibrate-only at almost all times and I find myself missing a lot more calls with my 4S in my pocket than I did before with the harsher vibration.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I turn vibrate off for that reason...it makes my ears bleed when it is on a table.

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
Still waiting for the parts from the REAL next-gen iPhone to leak. Tired of the countless fakes we've been getting for months. Fake casings, screens and cables........

People really need to come to terms with it. The amount of parts leaked all sum up the "long iPhone". Sorry but that is just the way it is.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Wow. That squiggly thing in the iPhone 4 totally squiggles in another direction in the new iPhone!

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
It really does make you think....the number of leaks is either ridiculous, especially in the face of Tim Cook claiming a doubling down of secrecy, or the number of leaks are indicative of intentional misdirection. I personally think we are seeing the real thing, but still. Geeez. Tim is going to present this phone for the first time and everyone will just stare at it like "we know Tim".

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The most surprising thing to date is that despite all of these external leaks, no one has a clue about the internals (camera, speed, connectivity, etc).

Apple is most likely controlling these leaks, but the good stuff inside will be revealed in Sept.

retinarob

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
VA
It really does make you think....the number of leaks is either ridiculous, especially in the face of Tim Cook claiming a doubling down of secrecy, or the number of leaks are indicative of intentional misdirection. I personally think we are seeing the real thing, but still. Geeez. Tim is going to present this phone for the first time and everyone will just stare at it like "we know Tim".

Awkward hhaha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.