Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Ndynslvr
macrumors newbie

Is Parallels worth it?

I will be learning how to program through linux and I was wondering if Parallels would be a good virtualization software to shell out money for or if I only need virtual box.
Ndynslvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:08 AM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

Try the free one first. See if you like how it works. If you don't like it or can't get it working, try something else.

That may sound obvious or trivial, but since they're all capable of virtualizing Linux, it's going to be other factors that ultimately influence your decision (such as price or ease of use). Since we don't know which factors you value most, nor what level of experience you have, you'll have to make the choice yourself, based on the factors you value.

Either that or you have to post a prioritized list of all the factors you value, assigning each a weight or cost, and describe your level of experience in installing non-trivial software like virtualizers and Linux systems.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 01:05 PM   #3
mslide
macrumors 6502a

VirtualBox is more than good enough for that purpose. I use that for all my virtualization needs.
mslide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 01:32 PM   #4
garbeth
macrumors regular

I've been running Parallels for several years now and love it. Admittedly I use it to run Windows but love the dual functionality it provides me.
garbeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Mac_Max
macrumors 6502

I'm not a huge fan of Parallels as a company. I had Parallels 3.0 and the upgrade to 10.6 killed my software. Now they claimed 3.0 and OS X 10.6 were incompatible, but this didn't manifest itself in the "the software will crash occasionally" sort of way, or X feature doesn't work. Instead they wouldn't even let you run the software. When they decide your software needs to be upgraded, you get a lovely dialog saying "This version of the OS isn't compatible, yatta yatta." Their official fix was shelling out $X0 for Parallels 4.0.

And it looks like things haven't changed...
http://kb.parallels.com/111578
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=261489
http://www.selikoff.net/2012/07/25/o...s-parallels-6/

As a result, I'd suggest using VirtualBox. Its been great for me and they don't hold your VMs hostage. I use it for quick spots of Windows dev where I don't want to reboot.

Last edited by Mac_Max; Aug 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Mac_Max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Ndynslvr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Max View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Parallels as a company. I had Parallels 3.0 and the upgrade to 10.6 killed my software. Now they claimed 3.0 and OS X 10.6 were incompatible, but this didn't manifest itself in the "the software will crash occasionally" sort of way, or X feature doesn't work. Instead they wouldn't even let you run the software. When they decide your software needs to be upgraded, you get a lovely dialog saying "This version of the OS isn't compatible, yatta yatta." Their official fix was shelling out $X0 for Parallels 4.0.

And it looks like things haven't changed...
http://kb.parallels.com/111578
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=261489
http://www.selikoff.net/2012/07/25/o...s-parallels-6/

As a result, I'd suggest using VirtualBox. Its been great for me and they don't hold your VMs hostage. I use it for quick sports of Windows dev where I don't want to reboot.

Thanks for letting me know about this, I shall consider it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndynslvr View Post
I will be learning how to program through linux and I was wondering if Parallels would be a good virtualization software to shell out money for or if I only need virtual box.
Use Virtualbox. It is open source and does pretty much everything that Parallels does. The performance when running Linux is fine.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:55 PM   #8
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Only worth it in a bargain deal...
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:58 PM   #9
HE15MAN
macrumors 6502a

Virtual box works great
HE15MAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:02 PM   #10
elefantrider
macrumors member

Virtualbox working great, easy to use and free!
elefantrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:06 PM   #11
Ndynslvr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
Only worth it in a bargain deal...
When do they commonly have those?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:49 AM   #12
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndynslvr View Post
When do they commonly have those?
Its often included in multibuy deals from various places. If it's in a macupdate deal then it normally features on this site. But there are other deals available, just have to look around. my guess they crop up about 2/3 times per year.
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming