Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_TRicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
USA Baltimore
ide ata currently is between 50 and 100 mb
seiral ata which is a new power over scsi (firewire on crack i call it ) is curretntly 150 at the most and then 300 in the REv 2 version. firewire is 800 mbits persecond which is really more like 60 mbytes but in firewire 2 it will be 2 gigbit persecond which is more like acutally 200 mb a second and with a smaller cable then Seiral ATA

so heres how to think about it .... Thick fat 1/2 inch thick cable with gold connectors on the end which will be nice and expensive that can go up to 2 meters from the drive (nice for raids)
or say firewire 2 with a 1/8 inch cable and a 3 meter range from the drive to the connector

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: speeds of drives

Originally posted by DJ_TRicks
ide ata currently is between 50 and 100 mb
seiral ata which is a new power over scsi (firewire on crack i call it ) is curretntly 150 at the most and then 300 in the REv 2 version. firewire is 800 mbits persecond which is really more like 60 mbytes but in firewire 2 it will be 2 gigbit persecond which is more like acutally 200 mb a second and with a smaller cable then Seiral ATA

1) This post doesn't make much sense

2) Firewire 2 is not 2 gigbits, it's 800Mbits. Firewire 1 is 400Mbits.

arn

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: speeds of drives

Originally posted by DJ_TRicks
firewire is 800 mbits persecond which is really more like 60 mbytes but in firewire 2 it will be 2 gigbit persecond which is more like acutally 200 mb a second and with a smaller cable then Seiral ATA
Maybe I'm confused, but I thought that FireWire was 400 and FireWire 2 was 800?
Which leads me on to say...WTF are you talking about? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.