Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 5, 2005, 06:07 AM   #1
gallivant
macrumors member

Airport on TiBook losing signal frequently

The Airport on my well-used TiBook has very recently started getting very iffy. It'll completely lose the signal for several minutes on end, get it back for a little while, lose it again. It has nothing to do with my distance or line-of-sight to the AP; it's happened when I wasn't touching the TiBook and it had a *perfect* under-10-feet LOS to the AP. One second I'm online, the next it can't see any wireless signal at all. Anyone know what's going on here?
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:02 AM   #2
wdlove
macrumors 604

My wife has loss of signal strength occasionally, very frustrating. It seems that the metal case of the PowerBook often causes this problem. For my wife the Mac OS updates has improved her signal strength. If you live near an Apple Store or Wi-Fi site, that would be a good way to make sure that your Airport Card is functioning properly.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 01:09 PM   #3
gallivant
macrumors member

It's not a "bad reception" issue. I have full signal; then abruptly lose it. It happens no matter how close to the AP I am, and no matter how unobstructed the signal is. I've seen the same effect on my home network, my school network, and a completely open network at a cafe. Full signal, then suddenly *nothing* for a while, then - if I'm lucky - it regains the full signal again.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 04:07 PM   #4
St Soichiro
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallivant
It's not a "bad reception" issue. I have full signal; then abruptly lose it. It happens no matter how close to the AP I am, and no matter how unobstructed the signal is. I've seen the same effect on my home network, my school network, and a completely open network at a cafe. Full signal, then suddenly *nothing* for a while, then - if I'm lucky - it regains the full signal again.
You are not alone. My wife's Ti PB used to do the same thing. Although she thought that it was a loose connection. Gently pressing down on the case in select locations would make it work again. I kind of doubted that, opened it up and the Airport card appeared to be seated properly. Anyway, it has not happened after that. So maybe it was a loose connection after all.

Good luck!
St Soichiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs