Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Hi all!

I was in the process of trying to update a 2011 Mac mini to Mountain Lion via an external HDD that I have a partition that contains the Mountsin Lion installer. I have multiple Macs, and this is a fast way of installing it instead of downloading it each time.

I know the installer works, because I didn't have any problems with it on the other computers that I installed it onto.

After I booted from the external drive, I used Disk Utility to erase the internal HDD. I then went to install a new copy of OS X. Selected the correct drive to install it to, and when the installer was at the "preparing to install" stage (I believe this is when it is creating the recovery partition on the internal drive) it took a very long time and gave me an error saying that it couldn't download the needed files in order to install OS X.

I tried it a few times, no luck. I repeated the above steps, all the way back to erasing the HDD again and starting over, no luck.

Next, I tried to just use Internet Recovery, assuming it would reinstall Lion. Now I get an error after I see the spinning globe for a moment, and the errors have either been "-6002f" or "-6002d".

Anyone have any thoughts on what to do?

I've also tried resetting the PRAM once and that did not help.

Thanks in advance!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hi all!

I was in the process of trying to update a 2011 Mac mini to Mountain Lion via an external HDD that I have a partition that contains the Mountsin Lion installer. I have multiple Macs, and this is a fast way of installing it instead of downloading it each time.

I know the installer works, because I didn't have any problems with it on the other computers that I installed it onto.

After I booted from the external drive, I used Disk Utility to erase the internal HDD. I then went to install a new copy of OS X. Selected the correct drive to install it to, and when the installer was at the "preparing to install" stage (I believe this is when it is creating the recovery partition on the internal drive) it took a very long time and gave me an error saying that it couldn't download the needed files in order to install OS X.

I tried it a few times, no luck. I repeated the above steps, all the way back to erasing the HDD again and starting over, no luck.

Next, I tried to just use Internet Recovery, assuming it would reinstall Lion. Now I get an error after I see the spinning globe for a moment, and the errors have either been "-6002f" or "-6002d".

Anyone have any thoughts on what to do?

I've also tried resetting the PRAM once and that did not help.

Thanks in advance!

Google:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3516137?start=0&tstart=0

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I did read this, but that can't be the only way to fix this problem. A corrupted restore partition should be able to be erased by erasing the HDD. I thought that was the whole point of when the OS X installer is preparing the computer for instal, it is creating a recovery volume.

And if the recovery partition has gone awry there wouldn't be much that can be done right? If you have other macs, you might be able to steal the files on their recovery partition to see if you replace them if that works. I have never tried this, just saying it could be possible.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I believe this actually has something to do with the EFI chip. Putting in a new HDD now to see if Internet Recovery will work.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Just as an FYI to close out this thread, the problem was being caused by faulty RAM.

So if you ever see these error codes, save yourself the trouble of getting a new HDD, logic board, etc. just test the RAM!

Another last tip: all modern Macs have their diagnostic software built-in to the firmware. Just hold down "d" while you start up the Mac and run diagnostic tests. It's a good place to start!

Last edited:

Andymrowan

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Just as an FYI to close out this thread, the problem was being caused by faulty RAM.

So if you ever see these error codes, save yourself the trouble of getting a new HDD, logic board, etc. just test the RAM!

I just found this thread on line after months of having the same issue, crashing iMac, error code 6002f.

I changed my RAM and my iMac is back up and running!

Happy days, thanks for the advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.