Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:04 AM   #1
jmfel1926
macrumors member

Best Clean Tool

i know that it has been discussed many times but i cannot find the exact forum question. can somebody tell me one tool (the best ) to clean my MBA 2012 from additional languages and stuff ?
and 2) if it is easy can you tell me what could i uninstall in order to gain more hard disk space? thanks a lot
jmfel1926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfel1926 View Post
i know that it has been discussed many times but i cannot find the exact forum question. can somebody tell me one tool (the best ) to clean my MBA 2012 from additional languages and stuff ?
You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

With very few exceptions, you don't need to defrag on Mac OS X, except possibly when partitioning a drive.

About disk optimization with Mac OS X
Quote:
You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X.
Five Mac maintenance myths
Quote:
2) if it is easy can you tell me what could i uninstall in order to gain more hard disk space? thanks a lot
Freeing up space in Mac OS X
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
and 2) if it is easy can you tell me what could i uninstall in order to gain more hard disk space? thanks a lot
You are probably thinking of Monolingual that can free up some space by removing languages you won't use.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air