Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
If the new iPhone implements NFC, will it be allowed to utilize tectiles or a similar item? Will BT4 offer anything like this?

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Not sure what you mean, I thought NFC tech worked similar to contactless credit cards, in that you 'tapped' your phone on a POS device in a retail store and the transaction goes through.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Not sure what you mean, I thought NFC tech worked similar to contactless credit cards, in that you 'tapped' your phone on a POS device in a retail store and the transaction goes through.

Right. Samsung released a product called "tectiles" that work as programmable NFC stickers. The can be used to change settings on a phone, check in on FB, an other functions as well.

Currently, they are incompatible with iPhones because iPhones lack NFC. I'm curious, if the iPhone gets NFC, will these "tectiles" work for us, or will apple release a similar product?

Also, if we don't get NFC, does Bluetooth 4.0 offer any similar type of functionality? Or are we going to actually be behind for a change?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Right. Samsung released a product called "tectiles" that work as programmable NFC stickers. The can be used to change settings on a phone, check in on FB, an other functions as well.

Currently, they are incompatible with iPhones because iPhones lack NFC. I'm curious, if the iPhone gets NFC, will these "tectiles" work for us, or will apple release a similar product?

Also, if we don't get NFC, does Bluetooth 4.0 offer any similar type of functionality? Or are we going to actually be behind for a change?

If the back of the new iPhone is metal, who knows how / if they'll implement NFC.

TeeRom

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2012
My guess is that if it does get implemented, it will only have limited functionality. Launch apps, tweet something, etc.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

No, and you are already behind.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Most likely Iphone5 comes with a NFC chip inside. I doubt that it will be 'fully' functional at the beginning, however as the days roll on more functionality will take place.
Keep in mind that stores will have to gear up for this etc. This will take place after the Iphone 5 is released and everyone knows what Apple is doing.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
There will be no NFC in the iPhone until Apple can do two things:

1: Can Apple introduce NFC where they control the key technology?

2. Can Apple make a significant contribution far beyond what others have done in this area?

Until Apple gets both those things answered, no NFC will happen in any Apple device.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
My guess is that if it does get implemented, it will only have limited functionality. Launch apps, tweet something, etc.

Thank you.

Yea, that makes sense. Apple doesn't like to share that type of OS connectivity. I'd like to see apple do it themselves, I'm already getting two Apple stickers...

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
There will be no NFC in the iPhone until Apple can do two things:

1: Can Apple introduce NFC where they control the key technology?

2. Can Apple make a significant contribution far beyond what others have done in this area?

Until Apple gets both those things answered, no NFC will happen in any Apple device.
It's a good strategy. One of the reasons I love Apple. "Crushing Blow" kind off thing.

So what could we see? Not saying apple throws it in, but what could be done with NFC, or any type "proximity control"? Facial recognition, owners voice only; to name a few. (I don't think I used that semi-colon right...)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

Honestly, how would we know? Wait until Apple announces it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
It's a good strategy. One of the reasons I love Apple. "Crushing Blow" kind off thing.

So what could we see? Not saying apple throws it in, but what could be done with NFC, or any type "proximity control"? Facial recognition, owners voice only; to name a few. (I don't think I used that semi-colon right...)

Yeah they are late to the game. A bigger theme is coming which now has all four carriers involved along with Paypal, Verifone and Intuit.

All four major US carriers join with Google, ISIS to form Mobile Payments Committee

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Who knows really, but I promise it be as crude and myopic as Google Wallet, which is neither "sexy" or appealing or useful, which is why it has no traction.

Apple is already sitting on hundreds of millions of card numbers through iTunes, which is a solid launchpad, but I wouldn't expect the service to be like anything else on the market currently. That's just not Apple's style.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Near Field Communication. Not sure if you were being serious or not there...

Was being sarcastic.

However, NFC has meant No Fat Chicks since the 1970's at least. lol

no_fat_chicks_0995_speckcase-p176260699874365292en7lp_210.jpg

Last edited:

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
It is a good time to introduce NFC. But we have to play Apple's money sucking game as usual. The main reason they won't include NFC in iPhone 5 is that they save it for iPhone 6 so we have to buy new and upgrade.

It's the core of their business. Always save a big enough feature for the next revision... For iPhone 5, they'll focus on the new design (presumably larger screen, unibody design), and talk about how thin it is... You won't even get quad-core CPU. But maybe LTE, that may again not be a world-wide one.

Just wait for it...

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
NFC will be released with the next phone.

Apple will require you to pay thru your iTunes account, and as a result of processing all of this they the Apple National Bank, Apple will add another billion in profits to their annual statement.

Their adoption will include a merchant subsidy thru MasterCard, making NFC cheaper than standard credit card processing for the merchant, which will rocket it into acceptance by merchants, which is key to customer demand.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
NFC will be released with the next phone.

Apple will require you to pay thru your iTunes account, and as a result of processing all of this they the Apple National Bank, Apple will add another billion in profits to their annual statement.

Apple will not become a bank:

Apple's head of iPhone software, Scott Forstall, was interested in the idea, say people familiar with the matter, and engineers on his team began to brainstorm a comprehensive "wallet app."

They discussed whether Apple should facilitate payments to merchants directly, one of these people said. The idea didn't go very far, on account of the complexity, including the possibility that the company would need to become a bank.

Inside Apple's Go-Slow Approach to Mobile Payments

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If/when Apple put NFC on the iPhone we won't be able to use it to change settings/profiles, etc. We can't create profiles now let alone switch between them. I am not holding my breathe for this feature via NFC. I actually have to hand it to Samsung, this is a cool way to use NFC and it demonstrates that the technology can mean a lot more than just paying for things at 7-11.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
NFC will be released with the next phone....

Most likely Iphone5 comes with a NFC chip inside. I doubt that it will be 'fully' functional at the beginning, however as the days roll on more functionality will take place....

AnandTech posting an interesting speculation article yesterday based on the current rumors and leaks. His NFC section would be of particular note here.

A couple of exerpts:

"NFC, Unlikely: Given the primarily metal backside of the new iPhone, it's highly unlikely that NFC is in the cards for this generation. In fact, given the very little space at top and bottom dedicated to those glass RF windows, you can almost entirely rule it out."

"Getting a good inductor into the device is important because how much inductance your antenna has will determine maximum coupling distance and ease of alignment. It shouldn't need saying, but having a huge ground plane (the unibody metal back case) in the way of your NFC antenna will seriously degrade performance, thus only the top or bottom windows are logical places to put it.

It's this last point which makes us very skeptical about the top or bottom RF windows being used for a relatively small NFC loop – not because such a thing is impossible – but rather because of how terrible the resulting ease of alignment and maximum coupling distance would be."

"The inclusion of Passbook in iOS 6 is the most often-cited piece of evidence for Apple including NFC, which seems a bit paradoxical since Apple hasn't disclosed at all whether it would favor NFC or a Bluetooth LE (low-energy) or even QR code based payment token through that gateway."

:apple::apple::apple:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I'm betting that Apple's designers have had no problem working in an antennae loop for NFC support.

Oh and they own I think 27 NFC patents, so it's time to put them to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.