Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Purely Elf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I just bought a MacBook Air to replace my broken Pro, and I'm not used to Lion. I can't zoom in with ctrl and the trackpad, and everything is just wrong. Is there a way to make my trackpad act normally, and if not, how can I downgrade back to Snow Leopard?

Nov 28, 2010
located
If it is a 2012 MBA, you can't downgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard has no drivers for 2012 hardware.

As for the keyboard and trackpad, have you looked at System Preferences > Trackpad and System Preferences > Keyboard yet? Maybe you can restore old behaviour in there.

Purely Elf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
If it is a 2012 MBA, you can't downgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard has no drivers for 2012 hardware.

As for the keyboard and trackpad, have you looked at System Preferences > Trackpad and System Preferences > Keyboard yet? Maybe you can restore old behaviour in there.

Yes, and some of that works, but my biggest concern is the zoom function. Can't find that anywhere.

And yes, it's 2012 :/

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
There's nothing wrong. The key to success is taking an open minded approach, be willing to spend as long as it takes for you to acclimate, then it will be easy.

After reading a great article in Ars Technica, I now understand where Apple is headed. It's very refreshing. I like change as long as it's beneficial, and I do believe this new direction will be :)

Purely Elf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I've pretty much got the hang of it now, just needed to turn off Scroll Direction: Natural, and now left is back and right is forward again. But still no zoom function, which was one of the most used functions for me. The thing says there is a "Smart zoom", where I tap with two fingers, but it doesn't seem to work and is not what I wanted anyway.

Anyone know where the real zoom function went?

----------

Here is a thread discussing the problem, but there is no "Universal Access" in my System Preferences.

Purely Elf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
And before three fingers up or down would go to the top or bottom of the webpage I was on. Is there no function for this anymore? How do I page up/page down?

----------

Can this help with the zoom?

No, because that is showing the Universal Access route. See, no Universal Access:

e10li.png

----------

And lol, why can't I remove things from my dock anymore? I certainly don't want Photo Booth in my dock.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
And before three fingers up or down would go to the top or bottom of the webpage I was on. Is there no function for this anymore? How do I page up/page down?
Look at BetterTouchTool for further customisation.

No, because that is showing the Universal Access route. See, no Universal Access:

I did not know, you were talking about OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and not Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. In OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion "Universal Access" is called "Accessibility".

PS: You can crop screenshots via Preview or use CMD+SHIFT+4 (> Spacebar > click window/element) to select what you want to shoot.
PPS: For images wider than 800 pixel, please use the TIMG tags instead of the IMG tags by just adding a T in front of the [IMG] and closing [/IMG] tag, like [img] and [/img] to prevent horizontal scrolling.
You can use the
edit.gif
to edit your images and add the Ts.

----------

And lol, why can't I remove things from my dock anymore? I certainly don't want Photo Booth in my dock.

Hold down the CMD key while dragging items off the Dock. That is a measure to prevent accidental deletion of Dock items, which made many people think they deleted something entirely. OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is one step forward for computer illiterate people, which is not a bad thing, but can get on your nerves if you know what the Terminal is.

Last edited:

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Look in the Accessaibility System preference, and there is a check box you need to turn on to get the CTRL scroll zoom to work again.

Purely Elf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Look at BetterTouchTool for further customisation.

I did not know, you were talking about OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and not Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. In OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion "Universal Access" is called "Accessibility".

PS: You can crop screenshots via Preview or use CMD+SHIFT+4 (> Spacebar > click window/element) to select what you want to shoot.
PPS: For images wider than 800 pixel, please use the TIMG tags instead of the IMG tags by just adding a T in front of the [url= and closing ]Image[/url] tag, like [img] and [/img] to prevent horizontal scrolling.
You can use the Image to edit your images and add the Ts.

----------

Hold down the CMD key while dragging items off the Dock. That is a measure to prevent accidental deletion of Dock items, which made many people think they deleted something entirely. OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is one step forward for computer illiterate people, which is not a bad thing, but can get on your nerves if you now what the Terminal is.

Awesome! Best post ever lol. I love you. BetterTouchTool is great! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.