Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
TheMarc
macrumors member

Help! Stolen iphone...

I got my iphone 4 stolen a few days ago.
It was on airplane mode (traveling abroad and hadn't roaming activated).
I sent a request to wipe it through icloud, but it doesn't work since the phone hasn't been connected it seems. The thing is I need some data from the phone, so here are my questions:

-Can I cancel the wipe order? The only thing icloud lets me do is erase the device from the list, making it impossible to later ask to put a code or wipe it or anything.

-Can I do a remote back up? The option of automatic backup when connected to wifi and plugged in was activated, but it got stolen in Cuba where internet is not as "available" as other places....

-I don't think Apple can help, but are there not applications that can help me with that? Could they help even if not installed on the phone (just by providing the IMEI?!)

I REALLY need access to some data (Notes)!

I thought icloud was supposed to save my Notes automatically when the phone was charging and was connected to wifi, but it seems it didn't do it last time. I was charging through USB through someone's computer. does that change anything??.
Now, when I access my icloud account (with Snow Leopard), I don't see any new Notes (from since I switched syncing method from itunes to wifi). Would upgrading to MLion mysteriously make them appear?
TheMarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Too late now.
You should have backed up more often.
You cant retrieve anything from the phone now even if you could cancel the remote wipe.
Its gone, move on be more carefull next time.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:49 PM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Sorry, but you are likely SOL in this case
MacDawg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Big.Mac.Daddy
Banned

What data did you need off your iPhone?
Big.Mac.Daddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:50 PM   #5
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big.Mac.Daddy View Post
What data did you need off your iPhone?
His original post said his notes
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:18 PM   #6
TheMarc
macrumors member

Yes, my "notes".
But I do always back up everything. How is it that the notes didn't sync when I was last connected to wifi and I had my phone charging? Is it because it was charging through usb and a computer? Or is it that I don't have access to all the icloud data since I'm still on SL and not Lion or ML?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:22 PM   #7
TheMarc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarc View Post
How is it that the notes didn't sync when I was last connected to wifi and I had my phone charging? Is it because it was charging through usb and a computer? Or is it that I don't have access to all the icloud data since I'm still on SL and not Lion or ML?
Anyone?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Why not log into icloud on a browser and check the notes folder in mail???
Defender2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:32 PM   #9
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Why not log into icloud on a browser and check the notes folder in mail???
this is a good idea, my notes always saved in my mail
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:19 PM   #10
TheMarc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
this is a good idea, my notes always saved in my mail
That's what I did, and the notes weren't there. But that's why I was wondering what I did... Because I had connected through usb and wifi and thought it had saved the data to icloud, but I guess not.
I was hoping it was because maybe they were there, but I couldn't see them or access them since I didn't have ML or was accessing icloud.com with my computer that doesn't run ML.
I guess the data are just lost.
It would then also mean that automatic back-up when plugged-in (charging) and on a wifi network doesn't work when the phone is plugged in to a computer to charge...
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:04 AM   #11
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Perhaps you should contact the OP of this thread. (Sorry - I couldn't resist. I hope you have better luck in the future)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:27 AM   #12
jamesjingyi
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to jamesjingyi
Poor little iPhone... Now being touched by someone who it does not know... Then killed by its old owner.... iPhone feels neglected...
jamesjingyi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:52 AM   #13
gaanee
macrumors 6502a

I read somewhere on the forum that when you remote wipe the iphone it asks you to generate a 4-digit code which you can use to reverse the wipe once you find it.
gaanee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #14
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarc View Post
I got my iphone 4 stolen a few days ago.
It was on airplane mode (traveling abroad and hadn't roaming activated).
I sent a request to wipe it through icloud, but it doesn't work since the phone hasn't been connected it seems. The thing is I need some data from the phone, so here are my questions:

-Can I cancel the wipe order? The only thing icloud lets me do is erase the device from the list, making it impossible to later ask to put a code or wipe it or anything.

-Can I do a remote back up? The option of automatic backup when connected to wifi and plugged in was activated, but it got stolen in Cuba where internet is not as "available" as other places....

-I don't think Apple can help, but are there not applications that can help me with that? Could they help even if not installed on the phone (just by providing the IMEI?!)

I REALLY need access to some data (Notes)!

I thought icloud was supposed to save my Notes automatically when the phone was charging and was connected to wifi, but it seems it didn't do it last time. I was charging through USB through someone's computer. does that change anything??.
Now, when I access my icloud account (with Snow Leopard), I don't see any new Notes (from since I switched syncing method from itunes to wifi). Would upgrading to MLion mysteriously make them appear?

I know this doesn't help things (and i'm not trying to preach), but I STRONGLY recommend backing up locally through iTunes every once in a while... I choose to backup to iCloud regularly, and still have a few backups on my Mac JUST IN CASE. I am not trying to harp (and i'm sure you'll do this in the future), just trying to help!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaanee View Post
I read somewhere on the forum that when you remote wipe the iphone it asks you to generate a 4-digit code which you can use to reverse the wipe once you find it.
That is false.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:40 PM   #16
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
WRONG. Wiping = no more data.

You are thinking about "remote lock" which can password protect an unprotected iPhone.
Consultant is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:57 PM   #17
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Wouldn't Time Machine have a backup of your iCloud data?
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:52 PM   #18
TheMarc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett700 View Post
Keyboard muscles. These posters would not talk to their parents, close friends, co-workers like this. Oh, the anonymity of the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1212 View Post
I can't believe what ********** you guys are. First of all if you read the OP and the original post, you might have noticed one of the things he asked was why it did not back up, on wifi. Perhaps instead of presenting an attitude about the Person losing the phone, you might have offered suggestions or even comments regarding the things that can be done.
Secondly can some moderator explain to me why we can no longer vote down posts. Not every post deserves a positive response, some like those above IMHO should have been voted down.
That's reassuring at least...

First, I didn't loose my phone. I got robbed on the street. My phone was taken from me! How irresponsible of me...
Second, I was merely asking a few simple questions about the functioning of icloud -how cry-baby of me. Other than wanting to know if there was a way to reverse a wipe command and do a remote back up, I was asking (1) if wifi syncing was supposed to work when the phone is plugged into a computer and not the wall, and (2) if all icloud data was accessible the same through a computer not running Lion or ML as through one using it...

But I don't really feel like explaining myself and justifying my post over and over again. If anyone can help me in answering those questions, however, it would be appreciated.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:46 PM   #19
phpmaven
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Reverse the wipe? That's GOTTA hurt!
phpmaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:32 AM   #20
liliangardner
macrumors newbie

Sad to hear this but I think it is too late now to take some action.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone