Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealMadrid15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Why after reformatting my new Lacie Porsche Design external hard drive from FAT to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) it's not empty.

It says in Disk Utility -

Capacity - 499.76 GB
Available - 499.32
Used - 444.2 MB

Number of Folders: 11
Number of Files: 58

Why...

When I open it there's nothing there.
Plus I reformatted it multiple times yet each time 448.2 MB of invisible stuff...

What is this? How can I get rid of it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why after reformatting my new Lacie Porsche Design external hard drive from FAT to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) it's not empty.
Have you tried emptying the trash with the drive attached? Also, it could be hidden files.

To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles true
killall Finder​
To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles false
killall Finder​

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

RealMadrid15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Have you tried emptying the trash with the drive attached? Also, it could be hidden files.

To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles true
killall Finder​
To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles false
killall Finder​

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

K I did the show hidden files thing and there was stuff in my folder. What is it and why is it there even after a reformat. Here's the file names

.com.apple.timemachine.donotpresent

.ds_store

And folders...

.fseventsd
.spotlight-v100
.trashes (this folder has a downward blue arrow with a circle around it in the bottom right corner)
and apparently I don't have permission to open the trashes folder even though I'm an administrator

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
K I did the show hidden files thing and there was stuff in my folder. What is it and why is it there even after a reformat. Here's the file names

.com.apple.timemachine.donotpresent

.ds_store

And folders...

.fseventsd
.spotlight-v100
.trashes (this folder has a downward blue arrow with a circle around it in the bottom right corner)
and apparently I don't have permission to open the trashes folder even though I'm an administrator
Just select all, move to trash, then empty the trash before you disconnect the drive. Some things may not delete, such as the .trashes folder. It should, however, empty.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
why is this?

It has to do with the option you selected when erasing your disk. Did you select slower? This will leave files on your disk. Notice that this disk has 60 files on it after erasing it.

jt2owl.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.