Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:57 PM   #1
WAM2
macrumors 6502a

Question Leaving my satellite behind, going all ATV.

My Question is how should I Go about this?

I'm sick of paying $200 a month for TV. So I Got 3 ATV's and subscribed to hulu plus and netflix. How Would I Go about my local channels for morning news and sports? I Was thinking about just using the Free OTA With an Antenna. Would this be the best way to go? And how could I Set it up to integrate with the ATV better? Without having to change TV Sources all the time.
iPhone 5S Space Grey AT&T 16GB
WAM2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a

OTA works good, depending on what area you are in. I get my local channels in picture perfect HD.

When my contract is up with my cable company I am going to do this:

OTA for my local channels

Apple TV 2 for all of my media needs.

AirPlay via MBP for Sunday Ticket and Watch ESPN.

13" MBP 2012 2.5 i5; iPhone 5 16gb (Sprint)
Gator24765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:05 PM   #3
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM2 View Post

I'm sick of paying $200 a month for TV. So I Got 3 ATV's and subscribed to hulu plus and netflix. How Would I Go about my local channels for morning news and sports? I Was thinking about just using the Free OTA With an Antenna. Would this be the best way to go? And how could I Set it up to integrate with the ATV better? Without having to change TV Sources all the time.
I purchased an HD antenna at Costco from Antenna's Direct for $50. I installed the antenna on my roof and I pick up 36 local channels in HD. Just make sure you point it in the direction of the main towers and you should be good. I love my Apple TV.
JoeBlow74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:11 PM   #4
jdag
macrumors regular

There's no way to really "integrate" the OTA with the AppleTV and you will have to switch sources to go from viewing the OTA to viewing the ATV.

There are 2 primary ways to accomplish this...

1) Connect the OTA and ATV directly to your TV and use the TV remote to switch inputs

2) Connect the OTA and ATV to a receiver and then 1 HDMI cable form the receiver to the TV. Then use the receiver as your way to select source.

You can also get a universal remote, such as a Harmony, which will allow you to program "Activities" so that 1 click will do the necessary power and source changes for you.

I run everything through my receiver and speakers and do not use sound from the TV speakers at all.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator24765 View Post
AirPlay via MBP for Sunday Ticket and Watch ESPN.
How are you going to do that without being a subscriber? (Or, are you "borrowing" the subscription from a friend/family?)
jdag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post

How are you going to do that without being a subscriber? (Or, are you "borrowing" the subscription from a friend/family?)

Don't you worry about that

Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:23 PM   #6
jdag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Don't you worry about that
hahaha...I was wondering if I missed something!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
hahaha...I was wondering if I missed something!
lol well if you really want to know, and for the benefit of others doing the same...

My parents have the NFL sunday ticket and will not be using their mobile devices to view so I will be using their unused portion of their subscription. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:45 PM   #8
jdag
macrumors regular

Quote:
lol well if you really want to know, and for the benefit of others doing the same...

My parents have the NFL sunday ticket and will not be using their mobile devices to view so I will be using their unused portion of their subscription. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
That was my exact assumption.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:36 PM   #9
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM2 View Post

You could take a look at something like EyeTV. You'd be able to record OTA TV using your Mac just like a DVR and I believe you can set up their software to automatically encode recordings for the Apple TV and dump it into iTunes.

If it wasn't for my wife and her TV viewing habits, I'd dump satellite in a heartbeat. My kids already do most of their watching either from our library of movies or Netflix and while I do like a lot of sports, I could probably live with whatever was available on ESPN3 and OTA.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater