Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
FatGuy007
macrumors 6502

Apple tv 3 has an a5 chip, why can't they put app store.

And make it 50-100$ more. I love the atv it's so different from any other apple device and stopped using cable due to it.
I am just wondering why can't they just maybe add a few games, use the remote as a control.
I know 1080p is hard on an a5, but a small game like angry birds won't hurt.
Why can't they do it?
FatGuy007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:27 PM   #2
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy007 View Post
And make it 50-100$ more. I love the atv it's so different from any other apple device and stopped using cable due to it.
I am just wondering why can't they just maybe add a few games, use the remote as a control.
Why can't they do it?
It's not an issue of can't, but rather won't. Why? Couldn't say, have to ask the guys and gals over at Apple.

But seriously, I'd love to see an App Store on the Apple TV as well but Apple marches to their own drum and has their reasons, whatever they may be.
tbayrgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:21 AM   #3
wywern209
macrumors 65832

More than likely, it is in the works or apple just doesnt see it as lucrative enough. if apple wants to do something, they try and get it right. the gaming paradigm changes when u go from a 3.5" screen to a 50+" screen. so they are probably experimenting for the best ui to support this etc.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:49 AM   #4
jamesvdm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Why can't they do it?
That's like saying PCs have an intel chip, why can't they run the Mac App Store.
jamesvdm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 03:47 AM   #5
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Why can't they do it?
they do. wireless mirroring from your macbook. haha well not really but its the same thing if not better feature.
x-evil-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 04:28 AM   #6
roidy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why can't they do it?
Why would you pay 50-100$ more for a feature that's designed to make Apple more money????? It would probably cost them little to no money to put the apps store on the ATV and they would profit greatly from all the app sales, so why would you want to pay extra for it?????
roidy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 04:31 AM   #7
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Why can't they do it?
If they added an App Store to the ATV, I would like to see the price decrease, not increase, since a sold ATV will mean future income instead of just a one time sale.

App Store and a higher price would be like offering members of a store less beneficial prices than non-members.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:23 AM   #8
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
If they added an App Store to the ATV, I would like to see the price decrease, not increase, since a sold ATV will mean future income instead of just a one time sale.
they're already making a ton of "future income" off it, via Media sales, and i'm sure they're getting a cut (although not their normal 30%) from all the subscription services they already offer access to.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:14 AM   #9
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

If Apple really is making an LCD Television, I expect when that product is launched, so will an App Store for the TV.
CWallace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:25 AM   #10
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
Why can't they do it?
Small market. The Apple TV hasn't really rocked Apple's revenue much. Apple's focused on the ones who do, and cares a lot less about the ones who doesn't (Just like any other business). Ever wondered why Apple doesn't air Apple TV ads, but has a lot of Siri ads?

In fact, the market's so small, I have never seen anyone having an Apple TV. The last time I saw one was on the Apple store, and it's not even the latest edition.

I asked my colleagues ipwhat they think about the Apple TV. Their answers were quite surprising.

Here it is:
Quote:
What's an Apple TV? Oh! Apple makes TVs? I should have known! Meet me at the Apple Store at 10!
I guess we both know how that disappointing conversation ended.
Blackberryroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:41 AM   #11
FatGuy007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryroid View Post

Here it is:

I guess we both know how that disappointing conversation ended.
I know it's smaller than the iPhone, iPad, and macs. But it has really good potential, what are they going to do when they make the apple retina tv? They are probably going to add a few games to the apple v since it will probably be the only one compatible with that resolution, and the market will blast. But that will probably happen with the atv 4. They are going to make a tv, there's a new type of quality called quad core definition (or something like that) and it will be 2160p, but this the future but apple forces it today. And soon enough, they are going to make refrigeaters, toasters, microwaves. But that will be 10 years if there market fails or the world ends in 4 months.
FatGuy007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:03 AM   #12
AppleHater
macrumors 6502

I don't need the rumored iTV, but appleTV with AppStore. In that sense, they want to leave room for the new device.
AppleHater is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:30 PM   #13
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
what are they going to do when they make the apple retina tv?
retina is all about viewing distance, a 50" 1080 TV goes retina at slightly further than 6 feet. so a lot of people's televisions already qualify as retina.

in much the same way that the iphone, ipad, and retina MBP all have different dpi, yet still carry the retina label. Retina is also a term made up by apple, so they define it as they want.

iphone - 326 dpi
ipad - 264 dpi
r MPB - 220 dpi

google retina math if you're bored.

Quote:
there's a new type of quality called quad core definition
It's called 4K.
to be able to see a difference in 4k vs 1080, you would either have to be extremely close, or have a HUGE screen
4K is more for public spaces like movie theatres. or people with way too much money

Last edited by waw74; Aug 12, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
waw74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Tortri
macrumors 6502a

I just don't think the experience is there. I mean yay great app store for Apple TV... all i have is a IR remote what am I going to do now? Buy a mouse and keyboard just for a few apps for the apple tv? Now its clunky.

Now if you had kinect type controls then yeah but thats for possible Apple Television set.
Tortri is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why can't they do it?
How would you play games with that simple controller that comes with @TV?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:18 PM   #16
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortri View Post
I just don't think the experience is there. I mean yay great app store for Apple TV... all i have is a IR remote what am I going to do now? Buy a mouse and keyboard just for a few apps for the apple tv? Now its clunky.

Now if you had kinect type controls then yeah but thats for possible Apple Television set.
cause the kinect comes permanently attached to a TV?

in my opinion the more useful aTV apps would be about media content, not games.
Plex
Pandora
last.fm
HBO go
Amazon Prime
BBC

no mouse or keyboard needed
waw74 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Tortri
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
cause the kinect comes permanently attached to a TV?

in my opinion the more useful aTV apps would be about media content, not games.
Plex
Pandora
last.fm
HBO go
Amazon Prime
BBC

no mouse or keyboard needed
We got Hulu without a AppStore there is nothing stopping the other developers from "trying" to get on the appletv. But games and the likings are practically useless unless the controls were not restricted. Only way to get around that is kinect type or simplified controls that aren't clunky.

Even if it has kinect type controls I'm not entirely sure if it would be a great experience.
Problem 1 with kinect slow response, it's not fast enough to be great, there is always that uncertainty feeling "did I do the move right" as we'll as did the user screw up but think it was the devices fault for not understanding.
Problem 2 hand gestures need to be intuitive and basic that anyone can use it with out prior experience.
Problem 3 possible usage limitation.
Tortri is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:33 PM   #18
golf1410
macrumors 6502a

If Apple does, how can you interact with all applications on App store? Oh! Remote. Wait?
golf1410 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:12 PM   #19
UKBeast
macrumors 6502

Apple already got patents for wand type remote controller and 5d tech, probably next apple tv or itv will come with something like this.

And about the app store for atv, we will probably get it with ios6 since iOS betas now have the feature that allows the user to change icon order. So we believe this is a sign of a new coming app store.

Wait September 12th.. lots of things will change..
iPhone 5
UKBeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:23 PM   #20
mykelala01
macrumors 6502

In Iphone IOS 6 they removed "Youtube"... Does it mean that if IOS6 came out on ATV "Youtube" will be removed too? So does it mean we need a App store so we can install 3rd party apps like Youtube created by Google. The reason I like ATV against my Roku because of Airplay and official Youtube apps.

Last edited by mykelala01; Aug 12, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
mykelala01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:40 AM   #21
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf1410 View Post
If Apple does, how can you interact with all applications on App store? Oh! Remote. Wait?
iPod Touch | iPhone | iPad
CWallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:39 AM   #22
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
If Apple really is making an LCD Television, I expect when that product is launched, so will an App Store for the TV.
Not until version two.

"And now we introduce the Apple TV 2, thinner, less bezel and for the first time it comes with App Store..."
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:41 AM   #23
Dustman
macrumors 65816

they will in time. I think they're probably figuring out what kind of apps they're going to allow on the atv. If they allow games, they don't want to be saddled with the negative reviews coming from controlling them with the remote.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:48 AM   #24
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
iPod Touch | iPhone | iPad
if you own one of those you pretty much can alredy play your games on the ATV via Airplay, so there is no real advantage to have the game stored on the ATV than on the other iOS device
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:22 PM   #25
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustman View Post
they will in time. I think they're probably figuring out what kind of apps they're going to allow on the atv. If they allow games, they don't want to be saddled with the negative reviews coming from controlling them with the remote.
I think they know what they want; to be able to offer pay per view and subscription like apps for content providers. The problem is they're trying to figure out pricing and deals... That's what I think.
hafr is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater