Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amadore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
So I recently purchased an iMac at a garage sale. Got it for a great deal (2006 model, 50 bucks), and booted it up when I came home.

Everything looked fine, but it boots to the "Mac OS X Utilities" screen. I see 4 options:

Restore from time machine backup
Reinstall Mac OS X
Get help online
Disk utility

When I try to reinstall Mac OS X Lion, I am prompted to login to my App Store account. After I login, I am told "This Apple ID has not purchased lion". I hit ok and then...nothing.

Is there any way around this? I'd be happy to buy a copy of lion, but I can't get to the app store. Is there anything I can do at this point? Apple store is 3 hours away...

Thanks,

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
So I recently purchased an iMac at a garage sale. Got it for a great deal (2006 model, 50 bucks), and booted it up when I came home.

Everything looked fine, but it boots to the "Mac OS X Utilities" screen. I see 4 options:

Restore from time machine backup
Reinstall Mac OS X
Get help online
Disk utility

When I try to reinstall Mac OS X Lion, I am prompted to login to my App Store account. After I login, I am told "This Apple ID has not purchased lion". I hit ok and then...nothing.

Is there any way around this? I'd be happy to buy a copy of lion, but I can't get to the app store. Is there anything I can do at this point? Apple store is 3 hours away...

Thanks,

Why not go back to the person you bought your iMac from and get them to enter their password? Then you can download Lion and all will be well :D

... Or you could get a copy of Snow Leopard online (ie eBay) and clean install. This will probably be a better overall os for this machine.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
The 2006 is old but sounds like it has at least snow leopard if you can get to the App store.

You can only download Lion if you bought Lion against your Apple ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.