Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Aug 11, 2012, 05:43 AM   #1
wrkactjob
Banned

Will You look At the Windows 8 Phones?

Especially if your not keen on the next iPhone would you consider a move?

There are a variety of screen sizes (4" 4.3" and 4.7") available both from Nokia and HTC.

http://blog.gadgethelpline.com/windo...evealed-month/

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...mber-3-1091634
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:08 AM   #2
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I'll be checking them out. WP7 isn't bad at all and WP8 should bring some nice features to the table.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:07 AM   #3
scott craft
macrumors 6502

I am very interested in a WP8 from Nokia. I am currently using a WP7 device and I really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to what WP8 brings to the table.
scott craft is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:16 AM   #4
ixodes
macrumors 601

While I wait for Apple to catch up to the mainstream smartphones with full sized displays, I have decided to buy a Windows 8 phone. It should be an interesting experience.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
Especially if your not keen on the next iPhone would you consider a move?
No not at all. IMHO Android and iOS are the most attractive mobile environments. The rest is too far away.

By the way: M$ released the Windows Phone 7 Connector in App Store for free:

Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:30 AM   #6
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

If you're an android user, I'm sure there will be a launcher for it soon enough anyway. Try launcher 7, the interface is absolutely crazy.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Calidude
Banned

I would definitely look at them, but I can't see them becoming a major player for smartphones for another 3 years.

Also, I really hate the interface. It's really childish and simplistic looking, like I'm not using a phone but rather some kind of electronic mall kiosk menu. If they can actually deliver an interface that doesn't make me feel like I'm being sold some flashy crap like a futuristic display from Minority Report, I'll consider a Windows Phone.
Calidude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

WP7 is good, and is a match for Android and iOS. But MS were too late with it. In any case, the fact that you're more or less screwed if you bought a WP7 phone, really makes me ignore WP altogether.

It puzzles me : is a phone that runs WP7 not powerful enough to handle WP8 ?
In any case, I'll be getting an iPhone 4S when the 5 is released (it's too expensive right now) or Google Nexus with Android (a LOT cheaper and just as good)...
Dr. McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:39 AM   #9
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010

Yup. 90% chance i will also flip my S3 for a WP8 from Nokia. Love the Metro UI and the app design consistency. Give it more apps and i don't care at all about android.
sentinelsx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:54 AM   #10
noteple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott craft View Post
I am very interested in a WP8 from Nokia. I am currently using a WP7 device and I really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to what WP8 brings to the table.
It brings a whole new phone. The WP7 device can go in the closet.
Even so I'm looking forward to a test drive.
noteple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:05 AM   #11
greygray
macrumors 68000

All i can say is that I'm keeping an open mind. If other phones are better, I wouldn't mind considering jumping ship; that's technology, it always gets better.
greygray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:59 AM   #12
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
If you're an android user, I'm sure there will be a launcher for it soon enough anyway. Try launcher 7, the interface is absolutely crazy.
Launcher7 is what woke me up to Windows Phone when I had a Droid. I switched launchers like underwear before I discovered L7, and stuck with that for the remaining six months I owned the phone. So much better than the stock Android launcher and so much different than any of the other launchers out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidude View Post
Also, I really hate the interface. It's really childish and simplistic looking, like I'm not using a phone but rather some kind of electronic mall kiosk menu. If they can actually deliver an interface that doesn't make me feel like I'm being sold some flashy crap like a futuristic display from Minority Report, I'll consider a Windows Phone.
IMO, it's beautiful in a simplistic/minimalistic kind of way. And it is by far the easiest interface to use of the three major players... at least for me. Get in, get out, get on with my life. Exactly what I want from my device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
WP7 is good, and is a match for Android and iOS. But MS were too late with it. In any case, the fact that you're more or less screwed if you bought a WP7 phone, really makes me ignore WP altogether.

It puzzles me : is a phone that runs WP7 not powerful enough to handle WP8 ?
A lot of the WP8 issue is hardware, from what I understand. Display, scaling, NFC, etc. That said, Windows shot themselves in the foot by proclaiming that all WP7 devices couldn't be updated to WP8. The average consumer wouldn't know the difference between WP8 and WP8.01, the latter of which could be the Windows 7.8 (stripped down WP8) they plan to release to all legacy phones.
Prototypical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:13 PM   #13
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototypical View Post
Launcher7 is what woke me up to Windows Phone when I had a Droid. I switched launchers like underwear before I discovered L7, and stuck with that for the remaining six months I owned the phone. So much better than the stock Android launcher and so much different than any of the other launchers out there.
Honestly, after owning the GS3 for a month, I have to agree with you. The Windows feel was actually really enjoyable.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I like Windows 7 and I am sure I will like Windows 8.

The app situation is atrocious though. That's my biggest point of contention.

In terms of user experience, it's very very good. I think it looks good as well.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Giving this a shot today and so far, its pretty cool and works great. Dont think it is the best looking home screen using th tiles but its a change of pace.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:14 PM   #16
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
Giving this a shot today and so far, its pretty cool and works great. Dont think it is the best looking home screen using th tiles but its a change of pace.
It also doesn't really fit the phone. It feels really "not native". However, it really does make a case for Windows phone.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:20 PM   #17
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
It also doesn't really fit the phone. It feels really "not native". However, it really does make a case for Windows phone.
Looks like it fits fine to me

Vegastouch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:25 PM   #18
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototypical View Post
That said, Windows shot themselves in the foot by proclaiming that all WP7 devices couldn't be updated to WP8. The average consumer wouldn't know the difference between WP8 and WP8.01, the latter of which could be the Windows 7.8 (stripped down WP8) they plan to release to all legacy phones.
You nailed this 100%. If I'm Microsoft, I either
A) bring WP8 to Lumia
B) Don't announce that the Lumia isn't supported until a WP8 phone is an option.

We still don't know to what degree Microsoft has screwed up on this. Honestly, I feel like for us power users, this is kind of like strike one. Microsoft probably doesn't want to fall into the same boat as android where updates never happen.

----------

Quote:

Well yeah, but it's not really Windows phone. Choose a tile and it just opens the android app (duh), which really isn't the whole windows experience. It does look great, but there's definitely a chrome logo tile in the launcher so you don't have the IE logo on your Chrome tile!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:47 PM   #19
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Yes.

I'm already using a Lumia 800 as my main phone and love it. I'll definitely switch to a WP8 device asap.

The iPhone isn't even an option anymore.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:27 PM   #20
scott craft
macrumors 6502

Quote:

That looks pretty nice. I ran launcher 7 for a time when I used my Motorola Droid.
scott craft is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:18 AM   #21
Calidude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Yes.

I'm already using a Lumia 800 as my main phone and love it. I'll definitely switch to a WP8 device asap.

The iPhone isn't even an option anymore.
You're not upset that you bought a phone that you can't even upgrade from 7.5 to 8?
Calidude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:28 AM   #22
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
You're not upset that you bought a phone that you can't even upgrade from 7.5 to 8?
Not at all. The phone I purchased was a Samsung Focus, so it's already old and pretty beat up. I actually got the Lumia 800 after WP8 was announced for a great price.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:35 AM   #23
irDigital0l

Sure, but I wont buy it.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:07 PM   #24
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If it works fine, then why bother with windows 8? Same for iOs6, why bother upgrading to ios6 if I'm losing maps, and basically not gaining anything?

I think for all that matters, windows 7.5 is more than enough for what one needs.
Grolubao is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:13 PM   #25
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Yes, why not. WP7 is gorgeous, I'd recommend to try it out. I think the aestethics will play an important role though, so we'll see how that goes.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices