Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshcannonball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Hey there,
I took computer science in college so i'm fermilliar with toubleshooting systems, however, i'm lacking big time when it comes to macs. I video edit on a G5 so i'm fermillir with the system, but not so much the hardware/architecture.

theres an add in my local paper for a 17" 1.5ghz powerbook. It's being sold as is and i'm interested in buying it. In the add they state that the unit WILL NOT power on, and is missing it's cd drive, some motherboard cables, and it's internal hardrive. It does however come with everything else including the motherboard, processer, and ram etc.
that's really all the information i have on the system, and the seller doesnt know much either. I guess it could be a simple fix, or a very complex fix (if even fixable)

I'd love to hear some advice on this from more experienced people on the subject. thanks for the help

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
you should call and ask them if it had a parts would it power on. also what they think the problem is. could be as simple as a switch or new powersupply, but it could be a fried logic board or processor. in that case buying a gutted powermac would not be a wise thing. technically speaking buying a gutted power mac even if it did work wouldn't be too smart as well considering parts aren't cheap, unless of course if it was dirt cheap.

joshcannonball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Thanks for the reply. They said they recieved the item without the parts, they don't know why it's not powering on, and they don't have the parts to put in to test the item. They said physically it's in great condition, with absolutly no damage to the screen or anything like that. I've been looking at parts on ebay, and they don't see too bad. I could get this unit for about $400. i guess it's a bit of a gamble.. i really don't know what to do. i really cant afford to pump almost 3 grand into a new one however.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Set your sights a little lower, try something like a refurbed iBook...

iBook G4 1GHz/ 256MB/ 30GB/ Combo/ E/ 56K/ 12-inch TFT - Apple Certified Refurbished

• Save 28% off the original price
Original price: $1,099.00
Your price: $799.00

At least you know this one will work, even if it doesn't -- Apple will fix it.

If the parts don't work, you are out $400 plus a few hundred for parts -- and some of those Apple cables aren't off the shelf parts, or cheap.

http://www.pbparts.com/shop/_al+_cb

Missing some cables at $50-60 each isn't exactly a bargain.

The machine is probably worth it for parts to fix another machine though, but putting it back together can be an expensive gamble.

Especially since there must be a reason somebody started parting it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.