Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonnyK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I am not sure where to post my issue and question, but given that my problem is only observed on our Mac products running OS X 10.7.4, this seems as logical as any.

Our home network uses an Airport Extreme that connects to a FIOS router. Wireless has worked perfectly for three years, until just recently. Both our iMac and Mac Book Pro ceased being able to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. The Airport Utility shows the Airport Extreme (and Airport Express) with the triangle and exclaimation point icon, indicating device not found. However, my iPhone and iPad (which is WiFi only) have no trouble at all finding the home WiFi network and connecting, and the lights on the Airport devices are green.

Based on this, it would seem the problems lie with the Macs, and maybe some part of the OS settings. Any suggestions?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Perhaps the settings, but we can't tell without knowing what they are. And what are the settings on the FIOS router, the Extreme and the Express? Which one or ones are transmitting the wifi network(s)? Can you connect to your LAN?

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
What caught my attention was the "The Airport Utility shows the Airport Extreme (and Airport Express) with the triangle and exclaimation point icon, indicating device not found."

My experience has been when the Airport Utility can't find a device, the device simply doesn't show up in the Utility. But then I'm not sure I've seen a yellow TRIANGLE before on it as well. I think I've usually seen a yellow circle. So it seems to me that it's finding the device on some level. Are you sure the error is "device not found" and not something else?

My suggestion, since the iDevices are finding it, is:
Go into the network preferences on the Macs, System Preferences:Network. See if everything looks right there.
Click on "Import...Airport)"
Is the network correct?

You might also try creating a new location clicking on the Location selector, and just start from scratch with Configure IPv4 set to Using DHCP. Best not to change your current location so that you have something to go back to.

Note: I'm still using SL. So I'm hoping Lion hasn't changed the network preference panel too much.

Good Luck. I hoped this helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.