Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forkjulle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
I'm becoming increasingly tempted not to buy the new iMac and rather buy the rMBP. The specs are impressive. The price is high and I understand that, since the rMBP isn't upgradeable, my best bet is to buy the best I can now.

I'm looking at the 2.6GHZ with 512GB RAM (because anything less is just a bit too little) and 16GB RAM. I've gathered (from these forums) that speed and memory trump storage space.

The only reason I'm eyeing the 16GB RAM is because I want it to remain powerful for as long as possible. I currently have a PC with 6GB RAM and don't seem to need much more (perhaps 8GB will be the sweet spot).

What are your thoughts on 8GB versus 16GB? Is it overkill? Will I even notice the difference? (I'm talking about basic/medium video editing (YouTube and home videos etc), and daily 300DPI Photoshop illustration work.)

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
I'm becoming increasingly tempted not to buy the new iMac and rather buy the rMBP. The specs are impressive. The price is high and I understand that, since the rMBP isn't upgradeable, my best bet is to buy the best I can now.

I'm looking at the 2.6GHZ with 512GB RAM (because anything less is just a bit too little) and 16GB RAM. I've gathered (from these forums) that speed and memory trump storage space.

The only reason I'm eyeing the 16GB RAM is because I want it to remain powerful for as long as possible. I currently have a PC with 6GB RAM and don't seem to need much more (perhaps 8GB will be the sweet spot).

What are your thoughts on 8GB versus 16GB? Is it overkill? Will I even notice the difference? (I'm talking about basic/medium video editing (YouTube and home videos etc), and daily 300DPI Photoshop illustration work.)

Another 8 vs 16 thread. So exciting.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
To be nice and answer you, no you will notice minimal difference, especially with page-outs running to an SSD. If you do plan on keeping the laptop for 4-5 years then it might be worthwhile upgrading on purchase, as to assist with more demanding software in 2-3 years time.

Also 512GB RAM.... no issues running everything there :rolleyes:

Edit: Probably more worthwhile getting 2.3GHz and 16GB RAM... 2.6GHz for basic editing seems overkill really... although there will more than likely be SSD upgrades available soon from 3rd party vendors.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
To be nice and answer you, no you will notice minimal difference, especially with page-outs running to an SSD. If you do plan on keeping the laptop for 4-5 years then it might be worthwhile upgrading on purchase, as to assist with more demanding software in 2-3 years time.

Also 512GB RAM.... no issues running everything there :rolleyes:

Edit: Probably more worthwhile getting 2.3GHz and 16GB RAM... 2.6GHz for basic editing seems overkill really... although there will more than likely be SSD upgrades available soon from 3rd party vendors.

do you think the base model 2.3ghz, worth the extra 100 to jump to 2.6?

Forkjulle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Another 8 vs 16 thread. So exciting.

Sorry if I offended you. I meant no harm by starting this thread. I've always believed that more conversation is better (being a discussion forum).

I suppose the 16GB is worth the extra cash if one intends on keeping the machine for a few years, and buying more external storage is easy enough.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
Sorry if I offended you. I meant no harm by starting this thread. I've always believed that more conversation is better (being a discussion forum).

I suppose the 16GB is worth the extra cash if one intends on keeping the machine for a few years, and buying more external storage is easy enough.

There's a search function where you will find many threads discussing the same.

Forkjulle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
There's a search function where you will find many threads discussing the same.

Thank you for taking the time to visit this thread (instead of another more interesting one) and telling me that. I appreciate it greatly.

Anyway. At what stage will one notice that 8GB is too little? I don't have a Mac (and this will be my first), so I'm not sure how well Macs handle RAM. (Also, do Macs slow down over time - and will extra RAM help avoid that?)

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL

You didn't offend me--lots of us who are contemplating the purchase of a rMBP enjoy reading these threads--sure there are plenty of them but so what--no one is forcing anyone to read them.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Thank you for taking the time to visit this thread (instead of another more interesting one) and telling me that. I appreciate it greatly.

Anyway. At what stage will one notice that 8GB is too little? I don't have a Mac (and this will be my first), so I'm not sure how well Macs handle RAM. (Also, do Macs slow down over time - and will extra RAM help avoid that?)

Arrogance? Use the search button next time.

Forkjulle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Arrogance? Use the search button next time.

Thank you again for your contribution, and God bless you. I had no idea that this discussion thread, in this discussion forum, forces you to click and read it. This Apple technology really is fantastic!

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
You didn't offend me--lots of us who are contemplating the purchase of a rMBP enjoy reading these threads--sure there are plenty of them but so what--no one is forcing anyone to read them.

If you can't afford to upgrade it when Haswell or Broadwell come out (don't know how you'll be able to wait till Broadwell if you own one) do not get this machine. It's so beautiful, but like a sports car, it stupidly has performance issues. It's a great race horse thanks to its underlying CPU, SSD and ram, and you can even play modern games on quite decent graphics settings but navigating around the UI doesn't feel modern at all, you get used to it, until you get onto a machine that isn't pushing this many pixels. If you can afford to upgrade next year though, my word, hop in to this world.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA

Video editing + big Photoshop files = 16GB helps immensely.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010

you do realize there is no retina version of photoshop right? it'll be a long time until there is one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.