Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCWebbJR

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
I received my rMBP 2 days ago, and in those days I've already had a kernel panic (seems resolved?) and 4 or 5 freezes at start up/login/shut down/restart.

As a result, so far I've not been happy with the out-of-the-box experience. I've owned macs, but this is the first one I've had any issues with right away. This is disconcerting to me. Is it worth exchanging it for another one? Anyone else with similar issues running ML...what did you do?

Last edited:

DrFate09

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
IN, USA
I've had several black screens at login, you can fix it by setting up automatic login under your User preference pane. I think the problem is a bug in the OS.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
i haven't had any kernel panics or freezes and startup/shutdown/login since i got mine about 2 weeks ago. running ML and base config RMBP + 16gb of ram.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
You might try reloading mountain lion from scratch. Just format the drive and use Internet recovery.

The only reason why I'm saying this, is because I got a custom MacBook pro from apple about 3 years ago. When I first booted it up, it would hard lock up and had to be shut off. The laptop was unusable, and I called apple expecting to have to rma it, but the phone guy said to reinstall the os. So I did that, and the machine worked fine ever since.

If it still has problems after that, you'll have to return it.

PCWebbJR

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
You might try reloading mountain lion from scratch. Just format the drive and use Internet recovery.

The only reason why I'm saying this, is because I got a custom MacBook pro from apple about 3 years ago. When I first booted it up, it would hard lock up and had to be shut off. The laptop was unusable, and I called apple expecting to have to rma it, but the phone guy said to reinstall the os. So I did that, and the machine worked fine ever since.

If it still has problems after that, you'll have to return it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot. :)

----------

I mean, I love the machine. It's lightning quick, but I'm skeptical about a computer that crashes right out of the box. Just unsure if it's something worth requesting an exchange over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.