Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
kat.hayes
macrumors 6502

Contrast vs. Emphasis?

When trying to make an element stand out whether it is typography or a graphic element using color, scale, value, etc. to draw emphasis to it, from a graphic designer's terminology point of view, is this the same thing as contrast?

Are the concepts of emphasis and contrast essentially the same thing OR are there some differences?

Thanks!
kat.hayes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

I do see them as being different. Emphasis can be gained simply by surrounding a item with empty space.

Emphasis.

While I suppose you could consider that contrast ... emptiness vs. object ... I still see them as being different components of the design solution.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics