Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vojoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
What are you guys using to cool your rMBPs? I just got mine yesterday, and I want to make sure I get the best cooling pad I can for this computer. I did search and found quite a bit of generic information about cooling pads in general, but I didn't know if they would work with the new design of the computer.

Queen6

macrumors G4
If you are concerned with the temperatures and want to reduce them elevation of the rear of the machine helps, as sitting flat on the desk only reflects the head back to the base of teh Mac. You can buy passive aluminium coolers like Rain Designs Mstand or iLap. Most powered coolers are designed for PC notebooks and dont work overly well with Mac`s one cooler that does work efficiently is the Moshi Zefyr 2, as it`s principle of cooling is specifically designed for Apple portables, by blowing the air across the base of the computer.
zefyr2_1.jpg
zefyr2_2.jpg

13113194925802.jpg

Link: Moshi Zefyr 2

You can use software to manually override Apple`s own cooling algorithm by manually taking control of fan RPM and setting up power profile presets with SMC Fan Control (needs update for 2012, temp sensor presently not recognised), or you can look at UltraFan which allows you stipulate a preset temperature and the software will automatically raise and lower fan RPM`s to keep the system at the predefined temp.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I think just raising it off the desk is more than enough. Those stands with little fans are nothing more than a marketing ploy to steal your money.

I'll probably buy these soon.

Just-mobile-lazy-couch-scene.jpg

Just_Mobile_Lazy_Couch_notebook_stand_34302604_04_620x350.jpg

Aodhan

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I use my MBP in clamshell mode in a BookArc. The BookArc seems to keep it nice and cool, elevating the exhaust vent about 1.5" above my desk. I like the look of those feet BlazednSleepy posted, but I would be a little worried about the MBP sliding off and hitting the desk hard.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I use the Cooler Master Infinite Evo. I know for a fact that raising the computer off the ground significantly decreases temperatures, so this stand just raises the computer while circulating the hot air underneath. Plus, it comes with 3 extra USB ports.

It appears to be designed for the MacBook Pro, as it's designed for computers with a solid bottom plate, which no other cooling plate seems to address.

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
my rMBP runs significantly cooler than any other MacBook (Pro) I've used. Running idle (Safari, Spotify, Mail) around +/- 36C celsius (98 Fahrenheit) . I doesn't go up that quick either.

vojoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Does your rMBP feel hot? Or is it more of a psychological thing where you want to baby your computer? haha.

Heat wise, my rMBP usually stays pretty cool, but on my previous MBP's, I used a belkin fan that works pretty well.

These also work pretty well:
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/notebook_cooling/cryo_e40

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...NBC-8PBK-GP/dp/B002NU5V4A/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Thanks for the links!

It doesn't get hot at all under normal use, but if I play a game for more than 15 minutes it is a totally different story. It might not be getting hot enough to damage anything, but it is definitely getting much hotter than my previous macbook ever got. There is a ton of hardware crammed in a very tight space so when you start pushing it to its limits it is bound to get hot. I'm just trying to maximize the life of the computer by taking care of it now. It might be psychological more than anything else though haha.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Thanks for the links!

It doesn't get hot at all under normal use, but if I play a game for more than 15 minutes it is a totally different story. It might not be getting hot enough to damage anything, but it is definitely getting much hotter than my previous macbook ever got. There is a ton of hardware crammed in a very tight space so when you start pushing it to its limits it is bound to get hot. I'm just trying to maximize the life of the computer by taking care of it now. It might be psychological more than anything else though haha.

Yep, your right. I played battlefield 3 for a few minutes fans went up at max and the heat can make my breakfast.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I set mine on the ac vent and work laying down on the carpet. Equally as ridiculous as buying a cooling pad.

vojoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
I set mine on the ac vent and work laying down on the carpet. Equally as ridiculous as buying a cooling pad.

I tried putting mine on the AC vent and it seemed to really help. Do you have any tips for keeping the AC on? Every now and then the AC turns off and I have to set the thermostat lower for the entire office. I think everybody is getting upset because it's getting pretty cold in here.

I really think instead of putting the computer on the AC vent it might help to purchase some type of pad with some type of cooling device like a fan in it to cool the computer down. I think this might be more portable and would be less likely to upset my coworkers. Do you know if anything like this exists, and could you recommend a product that I can try out?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
the one the cost the least because they are all pointless and needless

I've seen several laptops over the years that required some sort of additional cooling when doing anything more complex than websurfing/checking email, so I wouldn't call the coolers "pointless". Those have mainly been the large desktop replacement models with dedicated GPUs that chew up battery and produce a lot of heat, but they still need additional cooling.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you are concerned with the temperatures and want to reduce them elevation of the rear of the machine helps, as sitting flat on the desk only reflects the head back to the base of teh Mac. You can buy passive aluminium coolers like Rain Designs Mstand or iLap. Most powered coolers are designed for PC notebooks and dont work overly well with Mac`s one cooler that does work efficiently is the Moshi Zefyr 2, as it`s principle of cooling is specifically designed for Apple portables, by blowing the air across the base of the computer.
ImageImage

Link: Moshi Zefyr 2

You can use software to manually override Apple`s own cooling algorithm by manually taking control of fan RPM and setting up power profile presets with SMC Fan Control (needs update for 2012, temp sensor presently not recognised), or you can look at UltraFan which allows you stipulate a preset temperature and the software will automatically raise and lower fan RPM`s to keep the system at the predefined temp.

I think just raising it off the desk is more than enough. Those stands with little fans are nothing more than a marketing ploy to steal your money.

I'll probably buy these soon.

I don't think either solution would help since the rMBP has its vents on the front sides.

Newfiejudd

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Just find to low profile water bottle caps. The ones I use are from nestle water here in canada. I glued some rubber mating on the top of the cap and they work perfectly. I have tried them against my cooling pad at the difference is only 1-2 degrees.

And the 2 bottle caps are so much more portable. The idea is just elevate the base and allow air to flow underneath.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I would never buy a cooling pad for anything I owned. I would at least HOPE that they engineered it so it wouldn't need one in the first place...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.