Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:06 AM   #1
jacob.schmidt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
MBA - Time to buy or wait for retina?

Hi guys!

I'm 'bout to order the MBA 13/i5/8gb. I've had a couple of MBA's before and just love the machine!

I'm a student so don't have the money to justify the Retina MBP, also the weight is kindda important, making the MBA a no brainer.

BUT - how are the chances for a retina MBA this year (around october/september along with the normal keynotes?). Personally I don't expect seeing it until a year from now, but rumors has it, that the MBP13 might get an retina update around sep.

I know this is just pure speculation, but any thoughts on this?
jacob.schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:10 AM   #2
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
If you need to get one now, then by all means buy one. If however you can delay the purchase you'll be better off see if apple does come out with a 13" retina MBP.

I'm not sure we'll see a retina MBA quite yet, as they'll probably want to get the MBP family to have retina displays first. Plus I don't think it makes much of business sense quite yet
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:13 AM   #3
MarcDean
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I think it's highly unlikely that the MBA is getting a Retina display this or next year. The technology is just not there yet, but perhaps early 2014.

You can wait if you want. It's rumors and nobody other than Apple knows if there is going to one released by september/october. But than again, you can just keep waiting and waiting..
If the rMBP13" is going to be released this year as well, it's difinitely going to have another price tag than the current generation.. More along the lines of the rMBP. Just get the MBA and its going to make you happy! The screen is great and the machine is a beast and is perfect for a student like you and my self.
MarcDean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:14 AM   #4
jacob.schmidt
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
If you need to get one now, then by all means buy one. If however you can delay the purchase you'll be better off see if apple does come out with a 13" retina MBP.

I'm not sure we'll see a retina MBA quite yet, as they'll probably want to get the MBP family to have retina displays first. Plus I don't think it makes much of business sense quite yet
I agree. Well, I can surely be waiting, but I'd really like to have one as soon I'll be returning my current one.

Don't see it neither, also the price would sure be a lot higher!
jacob.schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:15 AM   #5
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 192.168.1.1
A bit confused here. Do you want our opinion on if you should buy now or wait for the rMBA or are you starting ANOTHER thread on a potential rMBA?
RightMACatU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:18 AM   #6
jacob.schmidt
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDean View Post
I think it's highly unlikely that the MBA is getting a Retina display this or next year. The technology is just not there yet, but perhaps early 2014.

You can wait if you want. It's rumors and nobody other than Apple knows if there is going to one released by september/october. But than again, you can just keep waiting and waiting..
If the rMBP13" is going to be released this year as well, it's difinitely going to have another price tag than the current generation.. More along the lines of the rMBP. Just get the MBA and its going to make you happy! The screen is great and the machine is a beast and is perfect for a student like you and my self.
I know. If possible, I would LOVE to keep my current Air (1.7, C2D, 13", 256) but since it has to go back to my brother, I have to buy another one. And no matter which one I'll buy it'll be better than the one I had. It's just purely economically, that making the most future-proof thing is smart. Aaaaand, future-proofing in technology is just impossible

And sure - the price would be a quite different one!
jacob.schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:24 AM   #7
MarcDean
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.schmidt View Post
I know. If possible, I would LOVE to keep my current Air (1.7, C2D, 13", 256) but since it has to go back to my brother, I have to buy another one. And no matter which one I'll buy it'll be better than the one I had. It's just purely economically, that making the most future-proof thing is smart. Aaaaand, future-proofing in technology is just impossible

And sure - the price would be a quite different one!
It's quite impossible indeed! But you have to get it sooner or later right?
I would definitely get the 13"/8GB/i5 or i7, depending on your needs, SSD and budget. For future proofing, the most essential thing will the the RAM so that's a no brainer.
I just got a 13"/i7/8GB/256SSD and its a really great machine! It exceeded all of my expectations and I am sure this machine will at least get me through the next 3 years of college, which by then, it'll pass to one of my siblings and I've saved enough money for a rMBA by then.
MarcDean is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:33 AM   #8
jacob.schmidt
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDean View Post
It's quite impossible indeed! But you have to get it sooner or later right?
I would definitely get the 13"/8GB/i5 or i7, depending on your needs, SSD and budget. For future proofing, the most essential thing will the the RAM so that's a no brainer.
I just got a 13"/i7/8GB/256SSD and its a really great machine! It exceeded all of my expectations and I am sure this machine will at least get me through the next 3 years of college, which by then, it'll pass to one of my siblings and I've saved enough money for a rMBA by then.
True, true. I'd like to get the i7, but the price here in europe for the top-model Air is just ridiculous. And can't upgrade the low-end 13" to i7 for some reason (damn you Apple).. Also the 256gb is quite overkill for me. Have it now, and used about 70gigs.. Yeah, the RAM is quite important and that'll be what I'm upgrading - from 4 to 8..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightMACatU View Post
A bit confused here. Do you want our opinion on if you should buy now or wait for the rMBA or are you starting ANOTHER thread on a potential rMBA?
Huh?.. You might get the answer, if you read the post and dropped the sarcasm.
jacob.schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:37 AM   #9
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a
 
Seamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
My guess is that retina screens will be the key differentiator between the Pro and Air lines for the next couple of years at least. In the same way Apple has continued to sell the iPad 2 alongside the new iPad, and the iPhone 3GS alongside the 4/4S, the non-retina Air will continue to sell alongside the retina Pros. There'll be no retina Air until retina screens become the defacto standard for all notebooks.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" 128GB | iPad mini 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Time Capsule 2TB | Apple TV 3
Seamaster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:43 AM   #10
jacob.schmidt
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
My guess is that retina screens will be the key differentiator between the Pro and Air lines for the next couple of years at least. In the same way Apple has continued to sell the iPad 2 alongside the new iPad, and the iPhone 3GS alongside the 4/4S, the non-retina Air will continue to sell alongside the retina Pros. There'll be no retina Air until retina screens become the defacto standard for all notebooks.
Yeah, you might have a good point. Also it would be insane if Apple upgraded their MBP's (and/or Air) to retina with so short distance between the last upgrade (62 days ago).
jacob.schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:50 AM   #11
MarcDean
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.schmidt View Post
True, true. I'd like to get the i7, but the price here in europe for the top-model Air is just ridiculous. And can't upgrade the low-end 13" to i7 for some reason (damn you Apple).. Also the 256gb is quite overkill for me. Have it now, and used about 70gigs.. Yeah, the RAM is quite important and that'll be what I'm upgrading - from 4 to 8..[COLOR="#808080"]
You are absolutely right. I paid so much for mine it's not even funny.
But I do just love the machine! It was a great investment in my opinion. I love the machine and there is nothing that I can complain about. It just works!

Yea, I've used 50 gigs so far, and I really need to use a whole lot more.
But now that I've got it, I might put some movies on here and a bit more music. We'll see.
MarcDean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:05 AM   #12
urkel
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
My opinion is that if you need to buy NOW then save several hundred bucks and get a 2011 model since its the best value and the 2012 doesn't offer much beyond USB3 and a slight performance bump. But if you can wait then theres a good chance we'll see Retina and new hardware design on the next generation.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:23 AM   #13
aircanman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
Buy what you need now, there is no point waiting. Personally I think the MBP will be phased out in about 2 years to make way for Retina versions of the MBA 11/13 and possibly a 15 and the Retina MBP, the need for a CD drive is reducing and the price of SSD is coming down, making SSD the drive of choice in the future.
aircanman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:25 AM   #14
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.schmidt View Post
BUT - how are the chances for [fill in technology] this [fill in timeframe]. Personally I don't expect seeing it [fill in guess], but rumors has it, [fill in latest rumor]
The following have been true since the first personal computer was announced;

1. No one knows what features the next models will have.
2. No one knows when they will be available.
3. The new models will be faster than the current models.
4. The new models will have larger capacity.
5. If you wait, the prices will drop.
6. No one but you knows your financial situation.
7. No one but you knows if the unknown feature set of the unannounced product will benefit you.
8. If you need it now, buy it now but you will pay more versus waiting. (See Item 5)
9. Buying the previous generation is cheaper.
10. There's no such thing as 'future proofing'. See Items 3 and 4.

Last edited by kodeman53; Aug 13, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
kodeman53 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:07 AM   #15
Calot
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.schmidt View Post
Hi guys!

I'm 'bout to order the MBA 13/i5/8gb. I've had a couple of MBA's before and just love the machine!

I'm a student so don't have the money to justify the Retina MBP, also the weight is kindda important, making the MBA a no brainer.

BUT - how are the chances for a retina MBA this year (around october/september along with the normal keynotes?). Personally I don't expect seeing it until a year from now, but rumors has it, that the MBP13 might get an retina update around sep.

I know this is just pure speculation, but any thoughts on this?
If you can wait two years.... Very unlikely to have retina by next year.
Calot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:09 AM   #16
Wokis
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
My opinion is that if you need to buy NOW then save several hundred bucks and get a 2011 model since its the best value and the 2012 doesn't offer much beyond USB3 and a slight performance bump. But if you can wait then theres a good chance we'll see Retina and new hardware design on the next generation.
Oh you're just seeing in a way a MBA 2011 owner would do. Downplay HD4000, USB3 and 8GB RAM, and hope for "the bigger" upgrade when it's time for you to get the new one ^^

Obviously I'm the other one, who praise those parts

I'm having a hard time foreseeing anything about next year's MBA. Maybe apple are having a hard time figuring it out themselves. Is retina going to be the difference between Pro and Air? Is a re-design necessary for the MBA?

Maybe they'll just scramble it all up and make two "new" product lines, where the Air will simply be called the Macbook and the Pro will be the line with the highest specs and perhaps a thing like a dedicated GPU to set them apart.
__________________
13" Macbook Air 2012, i5-3427U, Intel HD 4000, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD | iPad Mini 16GB White | iPhone 5 32GB Black
Wokis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:08 AM   #17
urkel
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokis View Post
Oh you're just seeing in a way a MBA 2011 owner would do. Downplay HD4000, USB3 and 8GB RAM, and hope for "the bigger" upgrade when it's time for you to get the new one ^^

Obviously I'm the other one, who praise those parts
Huh? I went from 2011 MBA to a 2012 MBA so my opinion is based off of ownership.

For me, I use the Air primarily for Aperture and the difference with the faster drives and faster HD4000 simply wasn't that big. And considering you can buy a 2011 model for significantly less then if you lump the two generations together then the 2011 is the one that made the bigger "leap" compared to the previous year. And if the OP is thinking retina and has owned "several Airs" then why not save money or use what you have until the next version shows up.

Last edited by urkel; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:09 AM   #18
Dustman
macrumors 65816
 
Dustman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I'd buy now. The display is already nice, with an IGP I'd think the MBA would be crippled with a retina display until graphics get a tad better.
__________________
iMac 27" i5 2.8Ghz Mavericks; Dell 5150 P4 3.8Ghz Win2000; Samsung Galaxy S5; ATV2 4.1 J'b; MacBook 2.1Ghz Mountain Lion via MLPostFactor
Dustman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:52 AM   #19
bubbleboyjones
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
My opinion is that if you need to buy NOW then save several hundred bucks and get a 2011 model since its the best value and the 2012 doesn't offer much beyond USB3 and a slight performance bump. But if you can wait then theres a good chance we'll see Retina and new hardware design on the next generation.
I would say the 8GB option is a big advantage for the 2012. If was able to get 8GB on a 2011 I would get it in a heart beat.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokis View Post

Maybe they'll just scramble it all up and make two "new" product lines, where the Air will simply be called the Macbook and the Pro will be the line with the highest specs and perhaps a thing like a dedicated GPU to set them apart.
Thats exactly whats going to happen in the coming years(imo). The Pro's are becoming more like Airs as time goes on while the Airs become more like Pro's.
bubbleboyjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:54 PM   #20
jacob.schmidt
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Okay, as first stated this is pure speculations, but thanks for your answers and suggestions..

I do think we'll see a MBP13 retina within a couple of months, so I guess the question is turning into; buy mba 13 now or wait for mbp retina 13
jacob.schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:23 PM   #21
stchman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
If I'm not mistaken Apple has not even talked of introducing a Retina based Macbook Air. I personally think we will see a rMBA in the future, but I don't know when.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:43 PM   #22
aaronvan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.schmidt View Post
Okay, as first stated this is pure speculations, but thanks for your answers and suggestions..

I do think we'll see a MBP13 retina within a couple of months, so I guess the question is turning into; buy mba 13 now or wait for mbp retina 13
You believe Apple will release a rMBA in September? Highly, highly doubtful.
__________________
Italy had warfare, murder and bloodshed but produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. Switzerland had 500 years of peace and democracy and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
aaronvan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:06 PM   #23
jacob.schmidt
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronvan View Post
You believe Apple will release a rMBA in September? Highly, highly doubtful.
Totally agree. I also meant that they might release a mbpr 13". Which is why the question is whether to want (and wait for) a mbpr 13 or current MBA 13
jacob.schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:11 PM   #24
dkersten
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
There will be no retina MBA for at least a year. However there maybe a 13in Retina Pro later this fall.
dkersten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:15 PM   #25
Tanax
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.schmidt View Post
Hi guys!

I'm 'bout to order the MBA 13/i5/8gb. I've had a couple of MBA's before and just love the machine!

I'm a student so don't have the money to justify the Retina MBP, also the weight is kindda important, making the MBA a no brainer.

BUT - how are the chances for a retina MBA this year (around october/september along with the normal keynotes?). Personally I don't expect seeing it until a year from now, but rumors has it, that the MBP13 might get an retina update around sep.

I know this is just pure speculation, but any thoughts on this?
Retina MBA this year? No chance what so ever, AT ALL. Zilch. Zero. The thermal problem would become too big.

As for the Retina MBP 13", might come. But that's another story and not relevant to the thread really.
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it a good time to buy a Retina 13"? How fast is rMBP 2.5 i5 vs MBA 2011 1.8 i7? hackerwayne MacBook Pro 3 Dec 6, 2012 03:57 AM
Buy now or wait? retina MBP pricing in next cycle? retina/ssd worthwhile now? Baya87 Buying Tips and Advice 10 Nov 14, 2012 11:39 PM
Wait for MBA retina? oeap MacBook Air 7 Jun 22, 2012 01:00 PM
MBA now or wait for 13" retina MBP ? golu14 MacBook Air 2 Jun 17, 2012 06:48 PM
New MBA or wait for Retina 13"? sammyman MacBook Air 4 Jun 12, 2012 02:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC